Opam package pulls seem to be queued up?

Howdy! A couple of things I’ve been waiting on so I can upgrade to 4.06 seem to have been queued up in https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pulls for a few days — I was wondering both when they might get pulled up, and how I might use my own fork of opam-repository if I got impatient? (I’m not clear on how to aim opam at some particular git repo for the package metadata.)

opam repository add <name you want to use for your repo> -k git <url or path to custom repo>

-k specifies the kind of repository to use. See opam repository --help for more options. This can be helpful for testing changes, maintaining an offline mirror of the official repository or a personal/private repository of packages.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that while pinning is an acceptable workaround, the problem of PR’s in opam-repository always lagging behind. The real solution to this problem is of course to add some automation for this stuff, but meanwhile I really think that we should consider expanding the number of users who are able to merge stuff there.

1 Like

The reason for the backlog in opam-repository PRs is due to the press of build failures stemming from the OCaml 4.06.0 merge. There wasn’t a long enough settling period between the release candidates being cut, and for the opam-ci to catch up.

There is good news on the CI front though, as it is catching up now. What we do need, as @rgrinberg notes, is more volunteers to help with merging and reviewing opam-repository PRs. If anyone is interested in helping with this, do reply to this thread or get in touch with me directly.

1 Like

I’m very new at this, but I can probably pull up trivial things where the tests came up green.

Your help would be very much appreciated! @rgrinberg and I are just quickly refreshing the https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/wiki/PR-checks checklist…

Cool. I am pmetzger on github. Let me know how to start.

1 Like

I would be happy to help as well

1 Like

@avsm I’m happy to contribute reviewing, restarting CI, and merging (once all checkmarks are green) in opam-repository. as in other repositories I have access to, I prefer to not merge my own PRs.

1 Like

I cast my vote in favour of Hannes becoming a contributor on opam-repository. I also favour to simply disallow merging your own PR’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jpdeplaix would also be a good candidate if he wishes so.

1 Like

In Github, you can protect a branch by requiring the mandatory code review. In that case, an author is unable to approve its own pull request and consequently is unable to merge it. So this mechanism already exists on Github, but I think it is disabled in opam-repository.

P.S. I don’t see anything wrong in merging my own PR if they were reviewed and approved by someone else.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll be happy to do that ! :slight_smile: