Unbinding ctrl-f as site-wide search

When I’m browsing through a long thread and want to find mentions of something, I want to use the browser’s native ctrl-f, but the site hijacks this shortcut and triggers the search box in the magnifying glass at the top, which performs a site-wide search. This is very rarely what I want to do when I type ctrl-f in practice, and continues to surprise me each time it happens. It might make more sense when on the homepage and you’re likely searching for a topic than when you’re on a thread page and likely searching through replies.

1 Like

Rather curiously, when I type ctrl-f on this question I do get the normal search, but when I try it on Are any OCaml GUI bindings under active development? I get the site-wide search.

Yes it’s bad. C-f should never hijack the user’s browser in page search.

I think the behaviour is this: since the forum system has no pages but “infinite” scrolling for long discussions, it hijacks your browser search iff not all the content of the discussion is on the page.

3 Likes

Note that if you press ctrl-f twice in a row, it will get you to the browser native search. It seems to be a common pattern on all the sites who are rebinding ctrl-f.

7 Likes

I wish it would be the converse but that’s very good to know. Thanks @Khady.