OCaml Office Hours?

The talk on Batteries at Houston Functional Programmers last night by @UnixJunkie was really fantastic, and people got a lot out of it. And it was great to see faces (or at least names :wink:) from around here. One thing that surprised me a bit was how many questions there were about OCaml coding in general (rather than specifically Batteries).

This suggests to me that doing a virtual ā€œOCaml Office Hoursā€ could be successful and really valuable for the community. Just an opportunity for peopleā€“especially novicesā€“to come with their questions about OCaml, programming problems theyā€™ve run into, etc. Iā€™ll be happy to organize and promote it, but what weā€™d need is 1-3 people to act as experts and answer peopleā€™s questions. (I definitely donā€™t know enough to serve in this role.)

Because of time zone differences, if thereā€™s interest in organizing something similar in Europe or elsewhere, I could help out with that as well. Iā€™m in Houston, TX and would want to organize the event for a weeknight, probably ~7-9pm (U.S. Central time).

Thoughts? Anybody willing to join as an expert?

12 Likes

This is a great idea. I ran across this practice in the Kubernetes community, and it was a great way to learn:

I am not an expert by any objective measure, but I know enough that I could be of help to beginner and intermediate learners. I could commit to being present once a month or so. Iā€™m in US Eastern time.

2 Likes

In addition to mailing lists and discuss, there is also an IRC channel where people can interact with some ocaml experts in a more ā€œinteractiveā€ manner (irc://irc.freenode.net/#ocaml)

Sounds like thereā€™s enough interest to give this a shot and see what the response is. @shonfeder ā€“ Iā€™ll message you and we can figure out a time and date in Feb thatā€™s good for us. Thanks for volunteering. I probably should have put ā€œexpertā€ in quotes. We donā€™t need experts per se for something like this ā€“ just enough collective experience that weā€™re able to answer peopleā€™s questions and so itā€™s productive and useful. And fun!

3 Likes

Thanks for initiating this, @cjr ! I think more spaces for connection and camaraderie can only help our community in general, and itā€™s especially welcome in these trying times.

I look forward to the first session :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to volunteer as an expert if you have room. Iā€™m not a PL PhD kind of expert, but I have worked with OCaml professionally for about 12 years now.

7 Likes

Iā€™m a working manā€™s programmer as well. All of my ā€œexpertiseā€ is gained from years of programming in OCaml. Happy to help people or just make banter around OCaml.

10 Likes

And there is XMPP: xmpp:ocaml@conference.orbitalfox.eu?join

Save the date: Thur, Feb 11 at 7pm U.S. Central. @shonfeder, @mbacarella, @rgrinberg, and I will be hosting ā€œOCaml Cafe,ā€ an opportunity to get answers to your OCaml questions and, more generally, hang out with the community. I will post additional details within the next few days.

13 Likes

Some suggestions:

• maybe we could collect some questions and/or topics to discuss beforehand
  • I would propose to use the OCaml discord channel as the video conference hosting platform because it is already quite popular among OCaml enthusiasts and discordā€™s video conferencing is quite good
1 Like
  1. Sure, if people want to send me questions/topics ahead of time, please do. But itā€™s not necessary. Our goal is to let the interests of those attending drive the discussion.

2. Itā€™ll be hosted on Zoom, as thatā€™s what my university has with all of the enterprisey features - and what I already know.

2 Likes