Logarion - static website generation

Logarion v0.3 release candidate adds static website generation from archive.

https://gitlab.com/orbifx/logarion/tags/v0.3rc

Far from polished, it should be usable now. I’ll go through a phase of documentation, hoping to get some feedback meanwhile.

Generate static website from a Logarion archive:

logarion_cli convert "html"

Where html is the folder to save the HTML files and static directory.

Important changes:

• Templates should not contain HTML code in preparation for more conversion formats
  • Started relativizing links for portability of static pages
3 Likes

Stylish. You have a potential customer that you don’t seem to be aware of though: shared-hosting and VPS customers who are sensitive to resource costs. People on shared hosting can get their sites suspended due to excessively CPU-costing designs or if an attack (on a search box for example, but more often it’s a brute force attempt or an obvious DOS) caused the site to use an extreme amount of resources. People on VPSes face the same hazards but experience them differently.

A typical WordPress site without a caching module, which is very popular to have off of ‘wordpress.com’ btw, can be taken down with the resources of a single attacker making requests to the site’s front page. A static site though on the same hosting architecture would need so many more requests to affect anything that you may as well drop the layer-8 attack and try a UDP flood.

Also, a typical unattended dynamic website, anything with comments, but also notably wikis, will quickly be filled with spam.

There are people who want to have a website but don’t want to have to pay web2.0’s hidden administrative costs. Logarion could be more useful to these people with self-limiting dynamic features (oops, I’ve used too much CPU time, so I’m disabled; hmm, after this last comment I notice that the owner hasn’t been around recently, so I’m going to put up a notice and stop accepting comments) and with locked-down dynamic features, like an administrative panel that requires HTTP Auth (lower-cost and also not accounted as the user’s CPU usage) before you can see the actual login page.

1 Like