Any bloggers to try Logarion?

Logarion is a blogging & note-taking application in OCaml.

Up for giving it a try? It’s still in alpha version, but would like to get some feedback. Let me know what you think.

Screenshots of the dark and light stock themes.

8 Likes

A good point by @antron on IRC: a live instance for people to check it out. There will be one coming.

@anon72795300,

I am looking for an OCaml alternative to a local instance of jekyll for my personnal notes. Do you think that Logarion can be a good choice?

Although I pressume Jekyll has more features at this stage, it is perfectly capable of making a usable blog. Do you want a statically generated one or a hosted service?

Well, with Jekyll for example, I use the jekyll serve -w command that launches the buildin webserver in my userspace and serve the statically generated pages at http://127.0.0.1:4000. I want something simple to use and configure.

PS: I send you two Pull Requests for a missing dependency in your opam file and for install instructions of the binaries in your jbuild file.

I don’t see any merge requests. Neither Gitlab (main repo) or Github. Has something gone wrong?

The web server is operational. After cloning, run make webserver. This will build _build/default/src/logarion_webserver.exe which is the webserver. It’s configuration (port etc) depends on web.toml, but you also have to configure logarion.toml which is the main configuration.

1 Like

The PR are :

The web server is operational. After cloning, run make webserver. This will build _build/default/src/logarion_webserver.exe which is the webserver. It’s configuration (port etc) depends on web.toml, but you also have to configure logarion.toml which is the main configuration.

Ok, I will try it.

1 Like

Thanks for the contributions! For some reason Gitlab wasn’t showing notifications for it… strange.

Merged!

Let me know how you get on.

This looks cool! I also have been using jekyll for my blog, but I don’t know ruby, so it was also a little annoying to deal with. I will give this an in-depth look when I have a bit of time. Perhaps one day I will have a pure ocaml website… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Seems like I should target Jekyll for features and conversion guides. :thinking:

I hope you get some time soon, really need some feedback on what people would like to see next.

Btw, there is a channel you can come to lurk even if you are thinking of using Logarion:

https://riot.im/app/#/room/#logarion:matrix.org

You don’t need a Matrix account, just login as guest.

Other community links here: https://gitlab.com/orbifx/logarion#community-support

Speaking of features, does Logarion have the OCaml syntax highlighting?

Not in the HTML generator. I think at this stage it’s best to include a Javascript library that will do it on the client’s end, such as https://highlightjs.org/.

Would that satisfy your need?

1 Like

Sure, as long as the OCaml code is highlighted :slight_smile: I don’t have any preferences on whether it should be rendered on a server side or a client side (though the client side looks more reasonable).

I’ll write some docs on how to configure Logarion to do that.
Could you open an issue as a reminder? (I prefer Gitlab, but there is also Github)

It would be good at this stage if I had a list of issues with upvotes, to know what is in most demand.

1 Like

It is cool, but I am wondering how does it compare with canopy? Maybe it would be nice to support the same format, so the canopy unikernel can use the logarion blog files?

Personally I am using jekyll and would like to go away from it. I tried porting the octopress default theme to hakyll some years ago and it was incredibly frustrating. I wonder how difficult it would be to get that ported to logarion?

I can’t do a comparison with canopy. There are some features canopy has and I’m planning to implement in Logarion, such as support for Irmin and buildable as a unikernel. The note format seems similar, but one of the design aims of Logarion is to have a note-driven system, so there will be features which are probably not going to be supported by Canopy.

Where can I see the files provided by the default Jekyll theme? I’ll take a look and tell you.

Given Jekyll’s popularity, I might have to look into conversion guides and scripts.

The theme I mean is here I believe. One of the most useful things for me have been the generated pages per tag and overview of posts.

Ok, had a look.

The current templates for Logarion are far fewer and simpler than Jekyll. For example there are no conditions in the templates just now, since Logarion uses mustache- Logic-less templates.. There are only 5 template files, which you can see here.

As for the stylesheets, both systems used Sass. Again Logarion has far fewer files, only two found here.

So I’d say that it’s easy to get up to speed with how Logarion templates work and turning them into something you else, but porting the Octopress theme might be challenging. I’m here to help :slight_smile:

What do you mean by generated pages per tag? Directories for each tag with copies of the posts in them?

1 Like

I see. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be nice to have some more powerful templates like Jingoo. Of course, putting more logic in templates is a slippery slope.

Yes, so I can have a ocaml tag and then the blog would generate a page listing all ocaml-tagged pages on an overview by post date and generate a corresponding feed so people can subscribe to subsets of the blog.