Basic questions in ocaml

Hi,
First, i cannot understand what this mean and where we can use these expressions;
let a = None
let b = Some 10 what some mean ?
let b=10
let c = Some true
let d = Some "ok"
Second,
how can write this in ocaml
let matchfunction x y z= match x y z with | | with the condition that function has type int->int->int-> int=

thank you

Some is a constructor of the option type. The definition is roughly:

type 'a option = Some of 'a | None

Which means that it either holds a value of some unspecified ('a) type (Some) or it is empty (None).

So Some 10 is an int option, the Some true is a bool option and the Some "ok" is a string option.

If you want to write a function int -> int -> int -> int you need to create a function which takes 3 arguments, uses them as ints and returns another int. Then the type checker will be able to resolve 'a -> 'b -> 'c -> 'd (the most generic signature) to ints.

Hi Rana, would you like some suggestions about where to find good learning resources for OCaml or ML-style functional programming?

There are some useful links in the About the Learning category post. Feel free to suggest other things (though maybe we shouldn’t make it too long).

yes, please and thank you

OK. The best resource I can point you to is Prof. Dan Grossman’s free online course, ‘Programming Languages’: https://www.coursera.org/learn/programming-languages

It has fantastic, short and to the point lecture videos that explain all the concepts really nicely. I think you will enjoy it.

Note that the language used is actually a very close relative of OCaml, called Standard ML; but the concepts are all the same.