Scirep, a utility for literate programming

Hi folks,

I wrote a utility called scirep to render a markdown file with OCaml code blocks as an HTML document, which provides some support for graphics. Here are some examples of generated documents: one based on vg, and another using owl-plplot.

It can also be used downstream of mdx as a markdown-to-html converter that detects pictures in the toplevel’s standard output and renders them in the final document.

It is really a hack, and it is poorly documented, but I’m advertising it in case it might be useful to others.

23 Likes

I wonder why so many literate programming tools are specific to some language and/or documentation processing format. It seems easy to build a text processing tool that would extract and reassemble code fragments written in any language from a documentation written in any text file, yet I couldn’t find such a tool wen I looked for one.
So eventually I build my own: GitHub - rixed/portia: ultimate literate programing preprocessor

1 Like

Well, Org-mode with Babel mode is such a tool.

2 Likes

I am wondering if we would not need Scirep anymore if Support for commands/ocaml-code that themselves output markdown· realworldocaml/mdx gets addressed.

Have you ever heard of “noweb” ( Noweb home page ) ? It’s a literate programming tool for, well, any programming language. The documentation format is Latex. Ancient stuff.

1 Like