How to disable inlining in ocamlc

I’m fairly far along in my first Objective CAML application, at the moment ca. 1300 lines. Given a certain file for input, it raises an exception right away, and I was finally motivated to search out the secret OCAMLRUNPARAM incantation (“b”) to get a traceback. And compiled with “-g”.

Sadly, however, that’s no use at all, because each of the reported 9 locations is Unknown, having been inlined by the ocamlc bytecode compiler. I see that in an older version I might have been able to turn that off, with an -inline=0 flag. Is something like that supported in version 4.07?

If memory serves, backtraces should work even in the presence of inlining. Are you sure you are compiling every module with “-g” ? By the way, you can activate exception backtraces by calling “Printexc.record_backtrace true” instead of setting the “OCAMLRUNPARAM” environment variable.

Yes, I witnessed the modules all being compiled with “-g”.

[ … just to double check that, I installed ocaml 4.08 (first ocaml install on this host, MacOS X 10.13), brought over an entirely different program, compiled everything with ocamlc -g. Same thing: two locations in the traceback, neither identified. One of them, identified as “primitive operation at unknown location (inlined)”, was apparently int_of_string. The other, “Called from unknown location (inlined)”. ]

You may try this:

let () =
  Printexc.record_backtrace true;
  main ()

Not sure if there is a way to trigger it from OCAMLRUNPARAM

In case this is unclear, I am indeed getting a traceback, or backtrace if you prefer. OCAMLRUNPARAM=“b” yields the same result as Printexc.record_backtrace true - successfully producing a traceback.

The problem is that it looks like this:
Fatal error: exception Invalid_argument(“unknown cv type {”."; “unit”; “U”; “?”; “”}")
Called from unknown location (inlined)

This is why I wonder if there is a way to turn off inlining. Is there a way to turn that off?

Sorry for the noise, if this is the case. What does ocamlopt -inline 0 do ?

`unknown option -inline’

Well, ocamlc does not seem to have to have that option. Only ocamlopt has them

You may try to switch to -fp variants where fp stands for frame-pointer. There’s a chance that you’ll have more chance with that.

I could be crazily mistaken, but I don’t believe that “ocamlc” does inlining. [does it?] I thought only the optimizing compiler did so?

Indeed, ocamlc does not do inlining (it looks like a bug of the printer to report the calls as inlined).
Given the look of the backtrace, I suspect something like stack corruption or incorrect use of FFIs.

Can you give a bit more context about your code? What does the code that raised the initial exception look like?

Ah, I have to confess that I am an idiot. I use UNIX make to compile all this stuff, configured to use ocaml -c -g for .ml -> .cmo. But the main module is a different ocamlc -o main b.cmo a.cmo main.ml … where I neglected to add -g.

Once I use -g for the main module as well, I get more informative tracebacks. Sorry about this!

1 Like