Day of the Camel 2023: OCaml in Academia and Industry (online, 20 July 2023)

Hello all!

We (I and my co-conspirator Ricardo Rodríguez) are organizing a new edition of our erstwhile one-day hybrid workshop dedicated to the OCaml programming language and its industrial users. We will have talks and discussions with members of the OCaml development team, as well as companies using the language to solve complex and interesting problems.

Once again, the objective is to present a broad picture of the OCaml ecosystem and, more widely, of functional programming (and related techniques) as a viable and powerful choice for building correct and reliable computer systems. This is done as part of the second edition of an OCaml summer school, hosted this year again by the University of Zaragoza, and (again) generously sponsored by the OCaml Software Foundation.

Participation is free and open to everyone. We will stream the workshop on Zoom (Launch Meeting - Zoom, passcode: 247844) and Twitch. Here’s the preliminary schedule, additional information and updates can be found on our website.

20 July 2023, all times CEST (UTC+2)

Morning – Language session

• 09:00-09:30: Carmen Lazo and José Merseguer (University of Zaragoza) – Welcome reception
  • 09:30-10:30: Florian Angeletti (Inria) – The OCaml project and ecosystem
  • 10:30-11:00: Coffee break
  • 11:00-12:00: OCaml developers – Round table and Q&A

Afternoon – Industry session

• 14:30-14:55: Vincent Balat (Tarides / Be Sport) – Building functional systems / Social network for sports
  • 14:55-15:20: Javier Chávarri (Ahrefs) – Petabyte-scale web crawler
  • 15:20-15:45: Raphaël Proust (Nomadic Labs) – Tezos blockchain development
  • 15:45-16:10: Chris Casinghino (Jane Street) – Large-scale quantitative trading
  • 16:10-16:30: Coffee break
  • 16:30-17:30: Industrial users – Round table and Q&A

We look forward to seeing you there. Feel free to join, participate and distribute!

21 Likes

This looks fantastic! If you do have videos of the talks afterwards you’d like to host on watch.ocaml.org, I can create an account for you.

4 Likes

Hi Anil! I’ll get back to you about this after the event plus a few days of travel immediately afterwards. I think it would make a lot of sense to make those videos available to the community whenever the speakers agree to share them. @gasche had brought up the possibility of doing the same with the videos from the first edition, but we had yet to get around to it. Two birds with a stone, hopefully. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quick reminder: this is today! Anyone should feel free to join, ask questions and so on.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the videos from the event! I managed to miss it all thanks to badly misremembering the time zone :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Have videos from this event been published anywhere? I didn’t see anything just now from poking around on watch.ocaml.org and twitch.

1 Like