[ANN] Orsetto: structured data interchange languages (preview release)

announce
serialization
json
cbor
orsetto

I am pleased to announce that I’ve reached the preview milestone I set for my Orsetto project. As I wrote in the README file about it:

Orsetto is a standalone library comprising a core toolkit…

• Core functional data structures and processes.
  • Unicode transport, normalization, parsing and formatting.
  • General purpose packet format encoder-decoder processes.

…used to implement streaming parsers and formatters for a useful variety of
structured data interchange languages…

In the preview release, the major featured languages are only JSON and CBOR, but my hope is to expand this list to include a variety of other useful languages. The programming interfaces are sufficiently different from other implementations that I feel Orsetto may be a welcome alternative to have available.

Orsetto is currently available from my personal OPAM repository, which you can use in the conventional way:

opam repository add jhwoodyatt git+https://bitbucket.org/jhw/opam-personal.git

In two weeks, unless discussion here convinces me to delay or defer, then I will request to make Orsetto available on the public OPAM repository along with a commitment to make patch releases as necessary to correct errors.

At this time, I’m inviting the OCaml community to give it a look, post comments and questions about it here, file issues on the Issue tracker if you notice anything wrong. I’m especially interested in knowing about name conflicts that I need to avoid. Once I push to the public OPAM repository, I want to be able to move quickly toward its first stable release.

—james