You Can Attend the New OCaml.org Community Meetings

Hello everyone,

the OCaml.org maintainers are now holding community meetings, on Mondays every two weeks on Zoom.

Here are some dates for the upcoming meetings (scheduled on Google Calendar):

• 24 Jul 2023, Mon 18:00 – 19:00 CEST
  • 7 Aug 2023, Mon 18:00 – 19:00 CEST
  • 21 Aug 2023, Mon 18:00 – 19:00 CEST
  • 4 Sept 2023, Mon 18:00 – 19:00 CEST

Topics may include:

• Proposals you want to champion
  • Q&A sessions about the project
  • Guidance on contributing

But we’re not limiting topics to just these. Many more topics relevant to OCaml.org and how to best make use of it for the benefit of the OCaml community can also be discussed. If you’d like to add a topic/issue to the discussion for a specific meeting, please contact Sabine on OCaml Discuss or the OCaml.org Discord channel, or open an issue on the ocaml/ocaml.org GitHub Repository

P.S.:

7 Likes

Anyone up for joining me next Monday?

There’s still a lot of space to discuss feature wishes, plans, ideas. You can comment to put something specific on the agenda, or just hang out with me and give me a good rant about what we should be doing. Otherwise, you risk being drawn into my own rant, but that’s also fine.

I’m starting to write a Roadmap for OCaml.org. That will take a while and I’ll be going over the previous survey feedback, but most likely it will also require some new input on topics we haven’t talked about yet (e.g. what to do with the Community section). A survey will most likely also be part of the roadmap process to make sure we’re prioritizing properly.

2 Likes

Can I join with just a phone number? I just uninstalled zoom and it feels so good – I don’t want to go back.

Warning: I have a website pet-peeve to discuss. Maybe even more than one. My nickname starts to tell the story :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, I just realized I’m engaged on Monday, sorry. So, here’s what I had to say:

Accessibility, accessibility, accessibility, …

• Please no moving elements by default on the front page. If you want the animated cute code windows in some of the pages deeper down, ok, I’m not going to kill you over that, but make it consistently styled so I can disable it with uBlock or similar.

• Please make everything accessible by keyboard, and I mean everything, giving it not just a token effort but the same love you give to mouse interface. I’m sure there is at least one handicapped person in your life; think of them using the site.

Thank you, I’m climbing down from the soap crate.

Ian

2 Likes

Hey Ian, joining by phone is for sure welcome, maybe next time after that.

Thanks for championing and pushing for accessibility.

I made a few improvements compared to what things were like a year ago, but sometimes I also introduced behavior that wasn’t initially keyboard-navigable (and maybe still isn’t great, and, thus, needs to be fixed).

I think we should be doing a proper, focused effort for accessibility. That starts with adding a WCAG checker to the CI, but doesn’t end there. We need a better process for the interactive elements that ensures we get them right in the first try going forward.

Tarides is not yet hiring again, but if there were a strong frontend developer candidate with solid accessibility skills and strong motivation to build what the OCaml community needs, I think they should apply. It would help close a gap in skillset. An accessibility consultant would be the next best alternative, but it’s very likely we’d be spending resources better by learning how to do it ourselves while we build new things for the community.

Contributions in this area, like bug reports, patches, or discussions on this are immensely welcome. When we’re aware something is broken in terms of accessibility, this has a high priority to fix.

2 Likes

I have too many meetings in my life already, but if someone is interested in looking for a way to contribute to ocaml.org, I would be happy to see progress on issue (cross-ref) online OCaml manual: there should be an easy way to get a fixed-version URL · Issue #534 · ocaml/ocaml.org · GitHub , which makes it difficult for me to use the language manual hosted on ocaml.org.

3 Likes

Today’s OCaml.org Community meeting starts at 18:00 CEST (in a few minutes).

Today’s Agenda:

• Q&A time
  • Documentation discussion
  • Scoping Issues for contributors

PS: Here’s a link to the calendar that doesn’t require logging into Google:

The meeting time for future ocaml.org dev meetings has changed to 17:00-18:00 CET.

Dec 11 agenda:

1. Open issues for contributors
  2. Q&A

You can propose topics for the agenda.

I would like to attend and discuss how the new user flow, at least for DkML Windows users, is diverging from the Unix new user flow.

1 Like

Great topic, let’s discuss and see how to improve that!