Windows installation in July 2024

I’ve played a bit with OCaml on WSL, but now that OPAM 2.2 is out, I’ve thought I could give OCaml 5.2 another shot on Windows. Apparently, the docs haven’t been updated yet as they still talk about “full support on Windows coming soon with OPAM 2.2 being released in the upcoming months”. Is there anything holding this back? (I mean, apart from the fact that the responsible persons simply might not have had the time to update the instructions yet…)

1 Like

I’ve just seen this: Download and install opam with winget
But I don’t know what the status of that is given it still installs the alpha.

The link you have seems about Diskuv.

The official Opam release is announced here: [ANN] opam 2.2.0 is out! (with Windows instructions)

My opam2.2 on Windows only find Ocaml4.14

The instructions for windows in the Opam 2.2 announcement thread worked for me. I used the powershell script and ended up with 5.2.0.

I have only been using it as a toy. But it generally seems fine. There are some rough spots. E.g. base_bigstring has an open issue for a linkage problem related to memmem. But generally speaking, things seem to work well.

I think the main issue is that the documentation and website haven’t yet been updated to reflect the new release.

Edit: My experiment was with Windows on amd64, I don’t have Arm-based Windows hardware to test.

2 Likes

Has anyone succeeded with the opam 2.2 instructions on ARM Windows? It failed to install the initial opam switch here. Was fetching 4.12.1 which seemed a little old…

There’s new package on WinGet for opam under the OCaml publisher

Thanks everyone for your answers.
I’ve just noticed that the instructions for opam have been updated: opam - Install