Status update: Bazel-enabled OCaml toolchain

https://github.com/obazl-repository/ocamlcc

From the readme:

• New name: ocamlcc - the OCaml Compiler Collection. Analogous to GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection. Not only do we have multiple compilers - ocamlc.byte, ocamlopt.byte, etc., the compilers themselves may serve to drive a C toolchain, to compile, assemble, and link C code.

• Platforms and toolchains have been revised to support recursive (staged) builds.

• Recursive builds. Well, at least quasi-recursive. There is only one target for building a compiler, bin:ocamlcc; to build the compiler, this target needs a compiler, which it gets from a toolchain, which depends on bin:ocamlc, which needs a compiler, …​ recursively, until we get to the base case, the precompiled boot/ocamlc compiler. So the boot compiler (boot/ocamlc) builds the stage 1 compiler which builds the stage 2 compiler which builds the stage 3 compiler. See Staged builds.

• Revised configuration logic. The goal is to eliminate dependency on autotools (./configure). This is very much a Work-In-Progress; the code is in //config. For more info see notes/autoconf.

• Use the link command from the Bazel CC toolchain. OBazl now uses information from the cc toolchain selected (and configured) by Bazel to set the command string used by OCaml to run the C linker (Config.mkexe). For more info see ocaml_cc_config and notes/linking. [TODO: same thing for the assemble command Config.asm]

• Revised preprocessing. OBazl eliminates shell scripts and tools, instead using a template engine written in portable C to generate code.

In other words, this version includes some stuff beyond just getting the Bazel build to work, in particular concerning configuration and preprocessing. Part of the motivation there is to pave the way to Windows support by eliminating dependency on Unix-ish stuff.

Maintainers of the Makefiles may be interested in some of that stuff. Using templates for code generation instead of sh, awk, sed, etc. The template engine is written in portable C. Personally I find that using templates simplifies things considerably.

Feedback always welcome. The issue tracker is enabled on the github repo, and a discourse server is at obazl.

Cheers,

Gregg

5 Likes

I don’t see any discussion of build times. For compiler development, short feedback loops are important, so I care about the amount of time required to build the system, the ability to perform incremental rebuilds, and the abilty to quickly build only the part of the system that I rely on – typically, to debug type-checker issues, building ocamlc and ocaml (the bytecode version) is enough. We spend a lot of unpleasant Makefile maintenance time to ensure that parallel builds sort of work (poorly), just to reduce build time. How are the build times with your Bazel-based build system?

Incremental and parallel builds should just work in Bazel. I can see multiple build tasks running when I build.

Bearing in mind that 1) I haven’t tried to optimize anything; and 2) the current build protocol does not include a “coldstart”; it just builds from the sources, so any changes to them will rebuild starting from boot/ocamlc, meaning ocamlc.byte gets built twice. Once I implement a coldstart target (to snapshot the result of the current process) that won’t happen. With that in mind I ran some builds:

bazel clean --expunge
time bazel run bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte
…
bazel run bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.04s user 0.05s system 0% cpu 1:41.85 total

The --expunge means Bazel starts from nothing, so these figures include Bazel startup time.

Then I made some changes and recompiled:

after a small change to config.ml:
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.04s user 0.04s system 0% cpu 1:11.50 total

then I added a comment to typing/typecore.ml:
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.03s user 0.04s system 0% cpu 48.076 total

then added a comment to bytecomp/bytegen.ml:
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.03s user 0.04s system 0% cpu 41.853 total

add comment to driver/compile.ml
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.02s user 0.03s system 1% cpu 3.032 total

add comment to bytecomp/emitcode.ml
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte 0.02s user 0.03s system 1% cpu 4.438 total

How does that compare?

A distinctive feature of the Bazel build is that targets can depend directly on submodules in a namespace (“wrapped” lib) without depending on the whole thing. Between that and -opaque it might be possible to eliminate some unnecessary compilations. Haven’t looked into it closely yet. Bazel also has tools to help with optimization (e.g. Build performance metrics - but I have not used them yet.

There are probably some things in the build rules themselves that can be optimized. I haven’t worried about that yet; the first priorities are correctness, completeness, and user experience.

HTH,

Gregg

From a distance, this seems to be in a similar ballpark to what I would expect, but I don’t know what your machine is like. You could compare yourself by running make ocamlc after the same changes. Another interesting measure would be “building everything” – which we often need to do to run the testsuite.

I’m not saying that build times should be a priority of your work, but I think that the documentation could benefit from some ballpark performance numbers to at least reassure people that the build times are not strongly degraded by the new build system. (“Building everything from scratch” and “incrementally recompiling ocamlc.byte after a type-checker change” would be maybe two informative measures.)

Oops, forgot to mention: macbook pro 2.4 GHz 8-core intel i9 64 GB memory, macos Ventura 13.0.1

Yeah, good point, people will want to see that regardless of my priorities. I’ll set aside some time this weekend to address this. I can say something about Bazel features involving performance even if I don’t have benchmark numbers.

Good thing you asked. I discovered a bug in my dependency logic that was causing a bunch of unnecessary recompiles, which made things way slower than the makefile builds. Now they’re comparable. Adding a comment to bytecomp/btype.ml after a full compile (three rounds each):

Bazel (–//config/stage=0 means only build the first stage):
bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte --//config/stage=0
0.02s user 0.03s system 4% cpu 1.322 total
0.02s user 0.03s system 3% cpu 1.293 total
0.02s user 0.02s system 3% cpu 1.247 total

Makefiles:
make ocamlc 0.78s user 0.32s system 70% cpu 1.541 total
make ocamlc 0.77s user 0.23s system 97% cpu 1.021 total
make ocamlc 0.80s user 0.23s system 97% cpu 1.061 total

Here’s a chunk of output from Bazel’s profiler:

2 === PHASE SUMMARY INFORMATION ===
4 Total launch phase time 0.103 s 0.09%
5 Total init phase time 0.034 s 0.03%
6 Total target pattern evaluation phase time 0.004 s 0.00%
7 Total interleaved loading-and-analysis phase time 0.626 s 0.53%
8 Total preparation phase time 0.415 s 0.35%
9 Total execution phase time 116.556 s 98.99%
10 Total finish phase time 0.002 s 0.00%
11 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
12 Total run time 117.743 s 100.00%
14 Critical path (114.230 s):
…
67 6.209 s 5.44% action ‘_syssys1/ //stdlib CamlinternalFormat compiling stdlib_boot_module, stage 2’
68 182 ms 0.16% action ‘_syssys1/ //stdlib Stdlib.Arg_cmi compiling stdlib_signature, stage 2’
69 291 ms 0.26% action ‘_syssys1/ //utils Clflags_cmi compiling compiler_signature, stage 2’
70 1.265 s 1.11% action ‘_syssys1/ //parsing Location compiling compiler_module, stage 2’
71 259 ms 0.23% action ‘_syssys1/ //parsing Parsetree_cmi compiling compiler_signature, stage 2’
72 374 ms 0.33% action ‘_syssys1/ //parsing Docstrings_cmi compiling compiler_signature, stage 2’
73 371 ms 0.32% action ‘_syssys1/ //parsing Ast_helper_cmi compiling compiler_signature, stage 2’
74 24.351 s 21.32% action ‘_syssys1/ //parsing Parser compiling compiler_module, stage 2’
75 482 ms 0.42% action ‘_syssys1/ //asmcomp ocamloptcomp compiling boot_archive, stage 2’

Pretty sweet, no?

1 Like

Thanks for doing the actual measurements.

For the record, I find your reporting format a bit hard to read;

0.02s user 0.03s system 4% cpu 1.322 total

I’m not sure what “user”, “system” and “total” mean here. I would guess that the command ran in about 0.05s second (0.02s time spent in userland, 0.03s in system routines), consuming 4% of a CPU core, but took 1.322 seconds of compute time in total. This suggests a massive amount of parallelism (0.05s of “real time”, time a human user has to wait at the prompt, for 1.3s of compute time, summing all CPU cores involved, that’s 26 cores assuming perfect speedup), but I think that it is more likely that bazel uses detached processes in a way that confuses your system time accounting.

On the other hand, the make times are easier to interpret to me

make ocamlc 0.78s user 0.32s system 70% cpu 1.541 total

This suggests 1.54s of compute time, for 0.78s+0.32s = 1.1s of “real” time, so a 1.4x parallelism speedup. (But maybe my guess on what total means is wrong.)

1 Like

I ran “time ” under zsh for both, so the output fields have the same meanings. I believe “total” means wall time. The bazel command says to build ocamlc.byte but only stage 0 (the first build, using boot/ocamlc).

Below are the numbers using instead /usr/bin/time (on a mac) with -l (print rusage), -h (human readable output), -p (one line per measurement), after building, then adding a comment to typing/btype.ml. My understanding is that “user” and “sys” refer to cpu time, the former for user-mode (libs), the latter for time spent in the kernel, and “real” is wall clock time.

$ /usr/bin/time -l -h -p bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte --//config/stage=0
INFO: Analyzed target //bin:ocamlcc (0 packages loaded, 0 targets configured).
INFO: Found 1 target...
Target //bin:ocamlcc up-to-date:
  bazel-bin/bin/_boot/ocamlcc
INFO: Elapsed time: 1.194s, Critical Path: 1.07s
INFO: 6 processes: 2 internal, 4 darwin-sandbox.
INFO: Build completed successfully, 6 total actions
real 1.22
user 0.02
sys 0.02
             7147520  maximum resident set size
                   0  average shared memory size
                   0  average unshared data size
                   0  average unshared stack size
                3605  page reclaims
                   0  page faults
                   0  swaps
                   0  block input operations
                   0  block output operations
                   9  messages sent
                  26  messages received
                   1  signals received
                   4  voluntary context switches
                 278  involuntary context switches
            25046991  instructions retired
            32757699  cycles elapsed
             1982464  peak memory footprint

and with makefiles:

$ /usr/bin/time -l -h -p make ocamlc
... echoed cmds omitted ...
real 1.03
user 0.75
sys 0.22
           153260032  maximum resident set size
               76009  page reclaims
                  62  page faults
                   0  swaps
                   0  messages sent
                   0  messages received
                   5  signals received
                 208  voluntary context switches
                 276  involuntary context switches
           480335554  instructions retired
           298145387  cycles elapsed
             3883008  peak memory footprint

Pretty huge difference for user and sys times. The difference in real time is no doubt due in part to Bazel overhead - it runs in the JVM as a service.

I tried running a clean build but got an error:

$ make clean
$ /usr/bin/time -l -h -p make ocamlc
... elided ...
./runtime/ocamlrun tools/make_opcodes -opcodes < runtime/caml/instruct.h > bytecomp/opcodes.ml
/bin/sh: ./runtime/ocamlrun: No such file or directory
make: *** [bytecomp/opcodes.ml] Error 127
real 73.94
user 37.38
sys 5.03

So I ran “make world”, but I don’t know how to then force a complete rebuild of ocamlc. BTW, there is no analogous target under Bazel; you can’t build everything at once. That’s a future enhancement.

Under bazel:

$ bazel clean
$ /usr/bin/time -l -h -p bazel build bin:ocamlcc --config=ocamlc.byte --//config/stage=0
INFO: Analyzed target //bin:ocamlcc (82 packages loaded, 1559 targets configured).
Target //bin:ocamlcc up-to-date:
  bazel-bin/bin/_boot/ocamlcc
INFO: Elapsed time: 46.831s, Critical Path: 28.38s
INFO: 989 processes: 463 internal, 526 darwin-sandbox.
INFO: Build completed successfully, 989 total actions
real 46.87
user 0.03
sys 0.03
             7380992  maximum resident set size
                3680  page reclaims
                   0  page faults
                   0  swaps
                  39  messages sent
                 197  messages received
                   1  signals received
                   4  voluntary context switches
                 660  involuntary context switches
            25256424  instructions retired
            29407371  cycles elapsed
             2060288  peak memory footprint

Verify it actually got built:

$ ./bazel-bin/bin/_boot/ocamlcc -version                                                                
5.1.0+dev1-2022-06-09

I’m not sure what to make of those user and sys numbers, they’re almost the same for a clean build as they are for a build involving only compile of one module. I ran it again with verbosity on, to make sure everything was in fact being built and got similar numbers:

real 33.12
user 0.04
sys 0.06

P.S.: The makefiles apparently always build all of the runtime variants (ocamlrund, ocmamlruni, etc.). Bazel only builds what you ask for. If you want a debug runtime, you add --//runtime:DEBUG; if you also want a “debugger” build (with -g), add --//runtime=dbg (note: ‘=’ not ‘:’). For an instrumented runtime: --//runtime:INSTRUMENT.

So to compare build times for the runtime, I ran “make world”, then added a comment to runtime/intern.c, then:

$ /usr/bin/time -h make runtime -j
cd stdlib; ln -sf ../runtime/libcamlrun.a .
	0.83s real		1.29s user		0.54s sys

(By my count this cmd builds at least five libs: libcamlruni.a, libcamlrun.a, libcamlrun_pic.a, libcamlrun_shared.so, and libcamlrund.a, and three executables: ocamlruni, ocamlrun, ocamlrund.)

Bazel: build libcamlrun.a:

$ /usr/bin/time -h bazel build runtime:camlrun                                                          
INFO: Analyzed target //runtime:camlrun (0 packages loaded, 0 targets configured).
Target //runtime:camlrun up-to-date:
  bazel-bin/runtime/libcamlrun.a
INFO: Elapsed time: 0.264s, Critical Path: 0.17s
INFO: 2 processes: 1 internal, 1 darwin-sandbox.
INFO: Build completed successfully, 2 total actions
	0.29s real		0.02s user		0.02s sys

Build ocamlrun with -DDEBUG and -g (same as ocamlrund):

$ /usr/bin/time -h bazel build runtime:ocamlrun --//runtime:DEBUG --//runtime=dbg                       
INFO: Analyzed target //runtime:ocamlrun (0 packages loaded, 0 targets configured).
Target //runtime:ocamlrun up-to-date:
  bazel-bin/runtime/ocamlrun
INFO: Elapsed time: 0.583s, Critical Path: 0.47s
INFO: 3 processes: 1 internal, 2 darwin-sandbox.
INFO: Build completed successfully, 3 total actions
	0.61s real		0.01s user		0.02s sys