Status of OCaml spacetime

Is OCaml spacetime supposed to work? I have tried on MacOS and now Ubuntu, but I keep getting “internal errors”. Here is my system:

$ opam switch
4.05.0+spacetime  C 4.05.0+spacetime  Official 4.05.0 release with spacetime activated
4.05.0            I 4.05.0            Official 4.05.0 release
4.06.0            I 4.06.0            Official 4.06.0 release
system            I system            System compiler (4.02.3)
# 162 more patched or experimental compilers, use '--all' to show

$ uname -a
Linux atlas-16 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Running OCAML_SPACETIME_INTERVAL=1000 <my-ocaml-program> works fine, but when I try to run prof-spacetime I keep getting errors such as the following:

$ prof_spacetime process spacetime-5827 
Processing series...prof-spacetime: internal error, uncaught exception:
                End_of_file

$ prof_spacetime view spacetime-7041
                (Failure "input_value: bad object")

Any ideas what might be wrong? Is spacetime being maintained, or is it abandoned? Thanks!

if spacetime works for 4.04 then it seems to be regression.

The was a bug in OCaml 4.05 that broke the spacetime viewer. The profiling was still working but the viewer wasn’t. You can use a viewer built with 4.04 to view profiles built with 4.05.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Unfortunately, I keep seeing errors even with 4.04.0+spacetime:

$ prof_spacetime process -e $(which probnetkat.dump) spacetime-43587 
                (Failure "input_value: bad object")

That indicates a corrupted profile. How is the program you are profiling exiting?

Where to report issues with the spacetime switch? I get stack overflow on building tgls and camlp4 on 4.06.0+spacetime

I think you should support them to the OCaml Mantis bugtracker, since Spacetime is part of the OCaml distribution, and that’s where OCaml bugs go.

There is only one bug with spacetime in OCaml’s GitHub issue tracker: https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/issues/7678 (I omitted old Camlp4 one, since it is being deprecated anyway).

There appeared some new bug in the spacetime since: https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/issues/9093