The Multicore OCaml team is hiring a runtime systems engineer to hack on the OCaml compiler. This position is being advertised jointly by OCaml Labs (UK), Tarides (France) and Segfault Systems (India).
The Multicore OCaml project aims to bring native support for scalable concurrency and shared memory parallelism to the OCaml programming language. At its core, Multicore OCaml extends OCaml with effect handlers for expressing scalable concurrency, and a high-performance concurrent garbage collector aimed at responsive networked applications. Multicore OCaml is also the first industrial-strength language to be equipped with an efficient yet modular memory model, allowing high-level local program reasoning while retaining performance. Multicore OCaml is actively being developed and core features are being upstreamed to OCaml.
We are looking for an experienced (3Y+) systems engineer to join our team. Ideally, you will have:
- Excellent knowledge of C programming, parallel programming and Operating Systems.
- Worked on Compilers, Garbage Collectors and other runtime systems.
- Working knowledge of computer architecture and micro-architecture.
- Experience in analysing benchmarks and application performance.
- Track record of building production-quality software.
- Demonstrable open source contributions are a plus, but not required.
- Good communication skills in English; English is the corporate language.
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Design and implement features in the Multicore OCaml runtime system.
- Develop tests and documentation for the Multicore OCaml features.
- Implement parallel benchmarks, analyse and improve the performance of Multicore OCaml programs.
- Submit pull requests to the OCaml programming language on GitHub, and work with the OCaml core team to get the features merged.
- Work with external clients and other teams to gather requirements, develop proposals, design solutions and communicate project statuses.
- Provide technical mentorship to other developers on the team.
- Communicate with the wider open-source community (discuss, blog posts, meetups, conferences, talks, etc.).
- Competitive pay and benefits package.
- Flexible working hours and the possibility to work remotely within the UK / France / India.
- Supportive team environment with experienced Technical and Team Leads.
- The opportunity to grow with a fast-growing company.
- OCaml Labs (UK): Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Tarides (France): Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Segfault Systems (India): Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
If shortlisted, you will have three online interviews starting with a general interview, followed by a technical interview, and finally an interview with the team.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We strive to create a representative, inclusive and friendly team because we know that different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds make for a better workplace.