Reducing duplicate code in modules with parameterized type

Hello,
I found myself writing the following piece of code, and I’m wondering how can I reuse more code and not repeat re-declaring type expr = ... in both modules (since outside of this minimal example this would be a large grammar and repeating it twice or even more times would be bad).

module SimpleAST = struct 
  type 'a ast_node = 'a
  type expr = Bool of bool ast_node | Int of int ast_node
  (* more type definitions shared between SimpleAST and TypedAST *)
  (* ... *)
end

module TypedAST = struct 
  type 'a ast_node = {node: 'a; type_info: TType} (* everything is the same except the definion of ast_node *)
  type expr = Bool of bool ast_node | Int of int ast_node
  (* ... *)
end

Ultimately, what I’m trying to achieve is having tree variatinons which represent the same structure (e.g. an expr will always have as children a Bool and an Int across all variations, but the actual nodes of each tree to be of different type)

Also, the reason I am not creating a signature for both modules is that I want the definitions of expr etc to be public, so if I had a type module I would have to triplicate the definitions. As a result this is preventing me from using functors (but possibly there’s something I’m missing here).

Is there any way to achieve that or factor out the redundant code above? Thanks!

You may introduce a module type just for parameterizing by ast_node, without duplicating the definition of expr.

module type Ast_node = sig
  type 'a t
end

module MakeAST (Ast_node : Ast_node) = struct
  type expr = Bool of bool Ast_node.t | Int of int Ast_node.t
end

type 'a ast_node = 'a
  include MakeAST (struct type 'a t = 'a ast_node end)
  (* ... *)
end

module TypedAST = struct 
  type 'a ast_node = {node: 'a; type_info: ttype} (* everything is the same except the definion of ast_node *)
  include MakeAST (struct type 'a t = 'a ast_node end)
  (* ... *)
end
1 Like

Another option is to make expr a type constructor and then reuse it with each of your other types.

type ('bool, 'int) generic_expr = Bool of 'bool | Int of 'int

type 'a ast_node = 'a
  type expr = (bool ast_node, int ast_node) generic_expr
end

module TypedAST = struct 
  type 'a ast_node = {node: 'a; type_info: TType.t}
  type expr = (bool ast_node, int ast_node) generic_expr
end

This is interesting, I don’t think I’ve seen this approach before. Only problem I see is that for a “real” AST with say 20 variants, applying each as a type parameter would be pretty unwieldy. But for a small type like this it works nicely.