Providing Opam system dependencies with Nix

I’ve opened a PR with input from @dra27 and @avsm adding support for Nix depexts (system dependencies) to Opam.

Opam supports system dependencies for other platforms by invoking the system package manager, e.g. apt-get install .... However Nix is a bit different, as in general installing a package to your system doesn’t create the development environment required to use it; it will only add executables to your $PATH. To find, for example, objects files, outside of a Nix derivation you can use nix-shell and it’s descendant nix develop. E.g.:

$ nix-shell -p gmp
$ echo $NIX_LDFLAGS
-rpath /nix/store/20g5iw2r512gnfrdr4imp2y940v3vlif-shell/lib  -L/nix/store/rx6nkd40819acppajq29g1hxa4d9r35f-gmp-with-cxx-6.3.0/lib -L/nix/store/rx6nkd40819acppajq29g1hxa4d9r35f-gmp-with-cxx-6.3.0/lib

We support Nix depexts with Opam in a similar way. A Nix derivation is build with the desired packages as inputs, and the resulting environment is output as a file in the Opam switch in a format that Opam can parse. This nix.env file is a symlink into the Nix store, so acts as a garbage collection root – packages won’t be removed from the store while this file exists. Opam outputs these environment variables on an invocation of opam env.

This fixes issues such as Opam and nixos: is there an alternative to nix-shell?.

While the primary use case is on NixOS, this depext mechanism could be used on other platforms to provide a consistent experience including other Linux distributions, BSDs, (and possibly even windows in the future).

Nixpkgs typically only packages one version of a package at a time, but I’m working on versioned depexts with previous version of Nixpkgs as outlined here.

I’m keen to get people’s opinions and perspective on this!

10 Likes

This is now public at opam-nix-repository which, with opam nix depext support, should be able to provide versioned external dependencies with Nix, using the opam solver to find a revision of Nixpkgs that provides the required dependencies.

1 Like