Poll: Do you prefer UK or US spelling in documentation?

For OCaml.org documentation, we want to achieve consistency in spelling.

Since we don’t want to waste time discussing this internally: Here’s a poll for you to vote:

• UK spelling
  • US spelling
0 voters
3 Likes

As a non-native speaker, I may be too ignorant, but my vote is for the US spelling because the only differences I know of are obvious spelling simplifications/corrections. Even though the useless u in colour has some cachet. :wink:

1 Like

French spelling!

(I couldn’t resist)

23 Likes

May I recommend Canadian spelling? :grin:

E.g. ‘organized’, ‘labour’

3 Likes

There’s a difference?

I personally don’t mind having different spellings in different documents or even within a single document.

Documentation contributors can come from different backgrounds, and it may feel off-putting and gatekeeping to force a person with a preferred writing style use a different style.

As a non-native English speaker, who learned English using the UK spelling but then communicated with the rest of the world in the US spelling but then moved to the UK, I use different spellings interchangeably, and I had my dose of anxiety when different people blamed my OSS work or blog posts for not using the same style consistently :disappointed:

11 Likes

I second that contributors should feel free to spell in any valid way. Some maintainers can do the reformatting job asynchronously, i.e., without blocking the changes from being merged.

and personally : French !

2 Likes

Documentation contributors can come from different backgrounds, and it may feel off-putting and gatekeeping to force a person with a preferred writing style use a different style.

This question is coming from a maintainer who is up for doing the line editing and creating consistency.

No no one’s requiring contributors to watch out for this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are some differences, like synthesize (US) and synthesise (UK); labor (US) and labour (UK). At Tarides, we use the UK spelling because of the offices in Cambridge, but since OCaml.org is a community site, we thought we’d take a vote!

Absolutely! This is mostly for me when I’m doing line editing on the OCaml.org documentation to create consistence across the site. We’re certainly not asking contributors to do this. Please write as you like!

2 Likes

French spelling!

Voyons voir

Let’s see what we can do about that :wink:

2 Likes