OpenAI ChatGPT writing OCaml

Not sure whether this is the right place for this. But I really want to share this experience with you guys.

TLDR; ChatGTP is chatbot developed by OpenAI. It is NOT tailored for OCaml code generation or even coding. It understand natural language and context. It knows how to write custom types and use third party APIs (from Lwt to Cohttp to Str to even Ppxlib). It can take feedback and correct error on error messages. The final code does not work appropriately, but it is very close and compiles (on a different thread, I managed to get it to use Str which works properly). It also struggle a little bit on dune vs dune-project.

Please just read the full and unedited log. Please remember this is with a bot. What is your thought on this?

What is Python requirements.txt and please provide an example

Python requirements.txt is a file that lists the Python packages that your application depends on. It allows you to easily install all of the necessary packages for your project by running a single command, rather than having to install each package individually.

Here is an example of a requirements.txt file:

numpy==1.18.5
pandas==1.0.5
flask==1.1.2

This file specifies that the project requires three packages: numpy, pandas, and flask. The version number is specified after the package name and is separated by an equal sign. This ensures that the exact versions of the required packages are installed.

To install the packages listed in a requirements.txt file, you can use the pip command-line tool. For example, if your requirements.txt file is in the current directory, you can install all of the required packages by running the following command:

pip install -r requirements.txt

This command will install the numpy, pandas, and flask packages, as well as any other packages that those packages depend on. This makes it much easier to manage the dependencies for your Python project.

Please write a function to parse it in OCaml

Here is an example of a function that can parse a requirements.txt file in OCaml:

let parse_requirements (contents: string) : (string * string) list =
  let lines = String.split_on_char '\n' contents in
  List.filter (fun line -> line <> "") lines
  |> List.map (fun line ->
       match String.split_on_char '==' line with
       | [package; version] -> (package, version)
       | _ -> raise (Invalid_argument "Invalid requirements.txt format")
     )

This function takes a string containing the contents of a requirements.txt file and returns a list of tuples, where each tuple contains the name of a package and its version number. It splits the contents of the file on newline characters to get a list of individual lines, filters out any empty lines, and then uses pattern matching to extract the package name and version number from each line.

Here is an example of how you could use this function:

let requirements =
  "numpy==1.18.5
   pandas==1.0.5
   flask==1.1.2"

let packages = parse_requirements requirements
(* packages will be a list containing the following tuples:
   ("numpy", "1.18.5")
   ("pandas", "1.0.5")
   ("flask", "1.1.2")
*)

This function can be easily modified to handle different formats for the requirements.txt file, such as specifying package versions using a different delimiter or allowing for version ranges.

Please use a custom record and make version optional

Here is an example of a function that can parse a requirements.txt file in OCaml and uses a custom record type to store the package name and version number:

type package = {
  name: string;
  version: string option;
}

let parse_requirements (contents: string) : package list =
  |> List.map (fun line ->
       | [name; version] -> { name; version = Some version }
       | [name] -> { name; version = None }
     )

This function is similar to the previous example, but instead of returning a list of tuples, it returns a list of package records. The package record has two fields: name, which is a string containing the name of the package, and version, which is an optional string containing the version number of the package.

let requirements =
  "numpy==1.18.5
   pandas==1.0.5
   flask==1.1.2"

let packages = parse_requirements requirements
(* packages will be a list containing the following records:
   { name = "numpy"; version = Some "1.18.5" }
   { name = "pandas"; version = Some "1.0.5" }
   { name = "flask"; version = Some "1.1.2" }
*)

This function can be easily modified to handle different formats for the requirements.txt file, such as specifying package versions using a different delimiter or allowing for version ranges.

What is the dune file of this

The dune file is a configuration file used by Dune, a build system for OCaml. It specifies the structure and dependencies of an OCaml project, as well as the build rules and flags that should be used.

Here is an example of a dune file for a simple OCaml project:

(executable
  (name my_project)
  (libraries stdio)
  (preprocess (pps ppx_deriving.std)))

This dune file defines an executable named my_project that depends on the stdio library and uses the ppx_deriving.std preprocessor. It also specifies that the project should be built using the default build rules and flags.

You can use the dune build command to build the project defined in this dune file. This will compile the source code, link the resulting object files, and produce an executable binary file.

The dune file for a project can be quite complex, with multiple libraries and executables, custom build rules and flags, and support for other languages and tools. However, the basic structure is similar to the example above.

Please write a pretty printer of type package list

Here is an example of a function that can pretty-print a list of package records in OCaml:

let print_package_list (packages: package list) : unit =
  List.iter (fun { name; version } ->
    match version with
    | Some v -> Printf.printf "%s==%s\n" name v
    | None -> Printf.printf "%s\n" name
  ) packages

This function takes a list of package records and iterates over each record, printing its name and version number (if it has one). It uses the Printf.printf function to print each package in the format used by requirements.txt files, with the package name followed by the version number (if specified) and separated by an equal sign.

let packages = [
  { name = "numpy"; version = Some "1.18.5" };
  { name = "pandas"; version = Some "1.0.5" };
  { name = "flask"; version = None };
]

print_package_list packages
(* This will print the following to the console:
   numpy==1.18.5
   pandas==1.0.5
   flask
*)

This function can be easily modified to handle different formats for printing the package records, such as using a different delimiter for the version number or omitting the version number altogether.

Can you write a test for parse_requirements

Here is an example of a unit test for the parse_requirements function in OCaml using the OUnit2 testing framework:

open OUnit2

let parse_requirements = (* code for parse_requirements goes here *)

let tests = [
  (* Test parsing of a requirements.txt file with three packages and version numbers *)
  "three-package-file" >:: (fun _ ->
    let requirements =
      "numpy==1.18.5
       pandas==1.0.5
       flask==1.1.2"
    in
    let expected = [
      { name = "numpy"; version = Some "1.18.5" };
      { name = "pandas"; version = Some "1.0.5" };
      { name = "flask"; version = Some "1.1.2" };
    ] in
    assert_equal (parse_requirements requirements) expected
  );

(* Test parsing of a requirements.txt file with three packages and no version numbers *)
  "three-package-file-no-versions" >:: (fun _ ->
    let requirements =
      "numpy
       pandas
       flask"
    in
    let expected = [
      { name = "numpy"; version = None };
      { name = "pandas"; version = None };
      { name = "flask"; version = None };
    ] in
  );

(* Test parsing of an empty requirements.txt file *)
  "empty-file" >:: (fun _ ->
    let requirements = "" in
    let expected = [] in
  );
]

let suite = "parse_requirements_test_suite" >::: tests

let _ = run_test_tt_main suite

This test suite defines three unit tests for the parse_requirements function: one that tests parsing a requirements.txt file with three packages and version numbers, one that tests parsing a requirements.txt file with three packages and no version numbers, and one that tests parsing an empty requirements.txt file. Each test uses the assert_equal function to compare the result of calling parse_requirements with the expected result and reports any differences.

To run this test suite, you can use the dune runtest command. This will compile the test suite and run all of the tests, printing the results to the console. If any of the tests fail, the output will indicate which tests failed and why.

What is the dune file of this test

Here is an example of a dune file for the unit test suite described above:

(executable
  (name parse_requirements_test)
  (libraries oUnit)

This dune file defines an executable named parse_requirements_test that depends on the oUnit library and uses the ppx_deriving.std preprocessor. It specifies that the test suite should be built using the default build rules and flags.

To build and run the test suite, you can use the following commands:

dune build parse_requirements_test.exe
./_build/default/parse_requirements_test.exe

This will compile the test suite and produce an executable binary file, which you can then run to execute the tests. The output of the tests will be printed to the console, indicating whether the tests passed or failed.

Please also provide a dune-project file for this

Here is an example of a dune-project file for the OCaml project that includes the parse_requirements function and the unit test suite described above:

(lang dune 2.0)

(name parse_requirements)

(library
  (name parse_requirements)
  (public_name parse_requirements))

(executable
  (name parse_requirements_test)
  (libraries oUnit parse_requirements)

(rule
  (targets parse_requirements.install)
  (action (progn
            (install parse_requirements)
            (install parse_requirements_test))))

This dune-project file defines a library named parse_requirements that contains the code for the parse_requirements function, and an executable named parse_requirements_test that contains the unit test suite for the parse_requirements function. It also specifies that the parse_requirements library should be installed when the parse_requirements.install target is built.

To build and install the parse_requirements library and the parse_requirements_test executable, you can use the following commands:

dune build parse_requirements.install
dune install parse_requirements.install

This will compile the parse_requirements library and the parse_requirements_test executable, and then install the parse_requirements library to the default location. You can then use the parse_requirements library in other OCaml projects by adding it as a dependency in the dune-project file and running dune build to build the project. You can also run the parse_requirements_test executable to test the parse_requirements function.

I am getting error “File “parse_requirements_test.ml”, line 12, characters 34-35: 12 | match String.split_on_char ‘==’ line with ^ Error: Syntax error”

The error you are seeing is likely due to a syntax error in the parse_requirements function. In OCaml, strings must be surrounded by double quotes ("), not single quotes ('). It looks like the String.split_on_char function is being called with a single-quoted character, which is causing a syntax error.

Here is the corrected version of the parse_requirements function that should fix the syntax error:

|> List.map (fun line ->
     )

In this version of the parse_requirements function, the character passed to the String.split_on_char function is a double quote ("), which is the correct syntax in OCaml. This should fix the syntax error you were seeing.

If you are still experiencing errors, please let me know and I will try to help you further.

But split_on_char takes a char instead of string

You are correct that the String.split_on_char function takes a char argument, not a string argument. In OCaml, a char is a single character, represented by a single quote followed by the character (e.g. 'a', 'b', 'c').

In the previous version of the parse_requirements function, the String.split_on_char function was called with a single-quoted character ('=='), which is not a valid char value in OCaml. This caused a syntax error.

To fix this error, you can simply pass the '=' character to the String.split_on_char function instead. This will split the string on the = character, which is the delimiter used in requirements.txt files to separate the package name and version number. Here is the corrected version of the parse_requirements function:

|> List.map (fun line ->
       match String.split_on_char '=' line with
     )

In this version of the parse_requirements function, the String.split_on_char function is called with the '=' character, which is a valid char value. This should fix the error you were seeing.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

6 Likes

I tried it out this AM, too, on two different prompts. Both times, ChatGPT got it howlingly wrong.

First, ZYZ angles aren’t “roll/pitch/yaw”: those are “XYZ” (or “ZYX”) angles. And the way you convert them to ZYZ, is (drum roll) by converting thru quaternions (or rotation matrices, which are equivalent). Second, it got the difference between Paxos & Fast Paxos completely wrong. I mean, completely.

1. quaternions and Euler angles

Q: please explain how to convert a quaternion into the ZYZ representation of euler angles

A: To convert a quaternion into the ZYZ representation of Euler angles, you must first calculate the quaternion’s roll, pitch, and yaw angles. Then, you must convert the roll, pitch, and yaw angles into the ZYZ representation of Euler angles.

Q: ok, please show me some code for this
A: Unknown

Q: please write Java code to convert a quaternion to ZYZ Euler angles

Q:
A: The following code can be used to convert a quaternion to ZYZ Euler angles in Java:

Yep: no code there, just a blank.

1. Paxos and Fast Paxos

Q: please explain the difference between paxos and fast paxos
A: Paxos is a consensus algorithm that is used to achieve consensus among a set of distributed processes. Fast Paxos is an optimized version of Paxos that reduces the number of messages sent and the amount of time required to reach consensus.

Q: please explain more
A: Fast Paxos reduces the number of messages sent by having each process send a single message to the leader, instead of sending multiple messages to each other process. It also reduces the amount of time required to reach consensus by having the leader process send out a single message to all other processes, instead of having each process send out multiple messages. This reduces the amount of time required to reach consensus, as well as the amount of network traffic.

Nope again: Fast Paxos doesn’t involve the client sending messages to the leader, but rather to all replicas. That’s how it reduces message-latency.

Yes, it will confidently say the wrong answer. I also found it having difficulty on solving some basic binary logic.

For please write Java code to convert a quaternion to ZYZ Euler angles, I am getting

public static double[] quaternionToZYZEuler(double[] quat) {
    double qx = quat[0];
    double qy = quat[1];
    double qz = quat[2];
    double qw = quat[3];

double phi = Math.atan2(2 * (qw * qx + qy * qz), 1 - 2 * (qx * qx + qy * qy));
    double theta = Math.asin(2 * (qw * qy - qz * qx));
    double psi = Math.atan2(2 * (qw * qz + qx * qy), 1 - 2 * (qy * qy + qz * qz));

return new double[] { phi, theta, psi };
}

I’m not certain, but I suspect that that’s wrong. Why? B/c if you look at the rotation matrices, you have to deal specially with the case of a solely-Z-axis rotation, and the above code does not. The code in Henderson (1977) does not, either. That code (from which I suspect this answer is derived, via some intermediaries) is only correct for rotations that aren’t solely-Z-axis.

More generally, you’re right, that it doesn’t know when it’s right or wrong: but then, how could it? It doesn’t actually “know” anything. It’s just trying to fill in the text in the most “probabilistically” plausible way.

The shocking thing is that so many people find it a convincing simulacrum of intelligence.

3 Likes

How did you get it to produce java code? I’m using the “Playground” ( https://beta.openai.com/playground/p/default-qa?model=text-davinci-003 ) with default settings, and I get no code for your prompt.

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on the correctness, but it seems to get ideas from Conversion between quaternions and Euler angles - Wikipedia or something like that.

I am using ChatGPT

It can also write poem, haiku, lyrics, speaches and papers

Writing programs is not the problem. Convincing humans that they do what they are intended to do is.

8 Likes

I’d like to offer a counter argument on that.

This statement is true for most people without previous knowledge on the topic and access to the internet.

It doesn’t actually “know” anything. It’s just trying to fill in the text in the most “probabilistically” plausible way.

Yes, that is correct. I can also argue that is same for human where our “logic” is generated from our fuzzy biological/chemical neural network.

The shocking thing is that so many people find it a convincing simulacrum of intelligence.

It depends on how you define intelligence. People had successfully taught it non-existence languages and proprietary API that is not online, solely using natural languages.

Well, I’ll confess that I’m also not very knowledgeable. But:

1. I computed the function “rotation-matrix->Euler-angle-ZYZ” from the symbolic rotation matrices (defined in terms of phi, theta, psi)

• using MAXIMA to do all the symbolic math, ha!
  2. I wrote a shit-ton of unit-tests to verify that I could go ZYZ->ROT3->ZYZ without error

3. and when I switched some of those unit-tests to use this Java code (converted to OCaml), I got errors.

4. When I reran your same prompt, I got “yaw, pitch, roll”, not “phi, theta, psi” (how odd).

5. And finally, looking at that Wikipedia page (but not looking too carefully) it appears that that page is also for “roll,pitch,yaw” Euler angles, not ZYZ.

It’s all amusing stuff, I gotta admit. And furthermore, when I was working thru ROT3->ZYZ, I also encountered all sorts of code that “sorta works” and some that seemed just plain wrong. I took a few different implementations and wrote unit-tests that failed, before I gave up and just re-derived the code from the rotation-matrices. So maybe it’s not surprising that a lot of the code out there is just busted.

But regardless, that wikipedia page seems to show Z-Y-X Euler angle computation, not Z-Y-Z.

My point is that the ChatGPT model is trained based a fixed data set and does not actively browse the internet. It could be very possible that there isn’t enough knowledge in the data set to correctly generate the desired result. One thing they did horrible wrong is that the model do not accurately convey the correct confidence level.

You can try provide a clear definition of ZYZ before asking it to generate the code. It will utilize the knowledge learned from the same thread.

Your second sentence … I don’t understand what you mean: do you have pointers?

Your first sentence: I think we probably agree: The definition of intelligence among the unwashed is … shockingly unintelligent. Even in our profession, the ability to bang out leetcode solutions isn’t the same as the ability to reason thru a body of code presented to you for the first time – so you can figure out whether it meets its specification or not. Maybe what ChatGPT is demonstrating is a superior level of Google-Fu (so to speak).

It would be interesting to see if ChatGPT could both write various bits of code, and also write unit-tests for that code to check it against specifications. So that the two compiled together. That might start to approach the intelligence of the typical room-temperature programmer at your typical enterprise.

In my example, it did write very sensible and compliable unit tests using OUnit. It also includes edge cases for empty file. The chatbot is being restricted currently. It cannot compile/run code. But it can correct code on compile/test errors or simply your feedback, which is also shown in my example. It can also try to evaluate code.

For, second sentence, it is able learn new things from simple English sentences. It can learn your specification through simple English sentences or your API documents. It is able to utilize the new knowledge to generate new things.

Here is an example that I taught ChatGPT a completely made-up programming language with wired syntax, using English and sample code snippet.

I made a new language called NoLang. Do you wanna hear about it?

Sure, I would love to hear about the new language you created! Can you tell me more about it? What is unique about it, and what inspired you to create it?

NoLang defines variable using the follwing syntax novar abc != 123

That is an interesting way of defining variables in a language. Can you tell me more about the features and syntax of NoLang? How does it compare to other programming languages? What problems does it aim to solve, and how does it accomplish this? I’m curious to learn more about your creation!

Can you define def to 456 in NoLang?

In NoLang, you can define a variable by using the following syntax: novar def != 456. This will define the variable def with the value 456. You can then use the variable in your NoLang code by referencing its name, like this: def.

NoLang check equality using <>. For example, abc <> 123.

In NoLang, the syntax for checking equality is <>. This is a unique way of checking for equality, as most programming languages use the == operator for this purpose. Using the <> operator, the code abc <> 123 would check whether the value of the variable abc is equal to 123. If it is, the code will return true, and if not, it will return false.

NoLang print a statement using yell. For example, yell("Hello World")

In NoLang, you can print a statement to the screen using the yell keyword, followed by a string of text in parentheses. For example, the code yell("Hello World") would print the string "Hello World" to the screen. This is similar to the print statement in many programming languages, which is used to output text to the screen.

NoLang also has if statement. For example, whatif (abc <> def) gonnado { yell("equal") } then { yell("no equal") }

In NoLang, you can use the whatif statement to specify a condition and two blocks of code that will be executed depending on whether the condition is true or false. The syntax for an whatif statement is as follows: whatif (condition) gonnado { code to execute if condition is true } then { code to execute if condition is false }.

In the example you provided, whatif (abc <> def) gonnado { yell("equal") } then { yell("no equal") }, the code will check whether the value of the variable abc is equal to the value of the variable def. If it is, the code inside the gonnado block will be executed, which will print the string "equal" to the screen. If the condition is not true, the code inside the then block will be executed, which will print the string "no equal" to the screen.

Can you write a different if statement in NoLang

Sure, here is an example of a different whatif statement in NoLang:

novar x != 5
novar y != 10

whatif (x < y) gonnado {
    yell("x is less than y")
} then {
    yell("x is greater than or equal to y")
}

This code will define two variables, x and y, and set their values to 5 and 10, respectively. It will then use the whatif statement to check whether x is less than y. If it is, the code inside the gonnado block will be executed, which will print the string “x is less than y” to the screen. If the condition is not true, the code inside the then block will be executed, which will print the string “x is greater than or equal to y” to the screen.

Can you evaluate the result of

novar x != 5
novar y != 10

whatif (x < y) gonnado {
    yell("x is less than y")
} then {
}

If the code you provided is executed, it will define two variables, x and y, and set their values to 5 and 10, respectively. It will then use the whatif statement to check whether x is less than y. Since the value of x is less than the value of y, the code inside the gonnado block will be executed, which will print the string "x is less than y" to the screen. The code inside the then block will not be executed.

So, the result of evaluating this code would be that the string "x is less than y" is printed to the screen.

There is no < operator in NoLang. You need to use >> for less then.

Ah, I see. In that case, the code you provided would need to be updated to use the >> operator instead of the < operator. The updated code would look like this:

novar x != 5
novar y != 10

whatif (x >> y) gonnado {
    yell("x is less than y")
} then {
}

This code will still define two variables, x and y, and set their values to 5 and 10, respectively. It will then use the whatif statement to check whether x is less than y. Since the value of x is less than the value of y, the code inside the gonnado block will be executed, which will print the string “x is less than y” to the screen. The code inside the then block will not be executed.

So, the result of evaluating this code would be the same as before: the string “x is less than y” is printed to the screen.

Can you add for loop to NoLang

Sure, here is an example of a for loop in NoLang:

novar i != 0

for (i < 10) do {
    yell(i)
    i += 1
}

This code will define a variable i and set its initial value to 0. It will then use a for loop to iterate 10 times, printing the value of i to the screen on each iteration. The loop will then increment the value of i by 1 on each iteration, so that the loop eventually terminates after 10 iterations.

Here is an example of what the output of this code might look like:

This is just one way that a for loop can be used in NoLang. It is a versatile construct that can be used to perform a wide variety of tasks in a program.

We can also add constrain a variable in NoLang. ie novar www = string != "Hello World"

In NoLang, you can use the string keyword to specify that a variable is a string. This can be useful for constraining the type of data that a variable can hold, and for ensuring that your code is working with the correct type of data.

Here is an example of how you might use the string keyword to define a variable in NoLang:

novar www = string != "Hello World"

This code will define a variable www with the value “Hello World”, and it will specify that www is a string. This means that the value of www can only be a string, and any attempt to assign a different type of data to www will result in an error.

You can then use the www variable in your code, just like you would any other variable. For example, you could use it in a yell statement to print its value to the screen, like this:

yell(www)

This would print the string “Hello World” to the screen.

Can you initialize a int variable with constrain

Yes, you can use the int keyword to specify that a variable is an integer in NoLang. This will constrain the variable to only hold integer values, and it will ensure that your code is working with the correct type of data.

Here is an example of how you might use the int keyword to define an integer variable in NoLang:

novar a = int != 5

This code will define a variable a with the value 5, and it will specify that a is an integer. This means that the value of a can only be an integer, and any attempt to assign a different type of data to a will result in an error.

You can then use the a variable in your code, just like you would any other variable. For example, you could use it in a whatif statement to check whether it is less than another integer, like this:

whatif (a >> 10) gonnado {
    yell("a is less than 10")
} then {
    yell("a is greater than or equal to 10")
}

This code would check whether the value of a is less than 10. Since a has the value 5, the code inside the gonnado block would be executed, and the string “a is less than 10” would be printed to the screen. The code inside the then block would not be executed.

Can you write a parser for NoLang in OCaml

Sure, here is an example of a parser for NoLang written in OCaml:

let rec parse_expression = parser
  | [< 'Kwd "novar"; var = parse_variable; 'Op "!="; exp = parse_expression >] ->
    Novar(var, exp)
  | [< 'Ident var; 'Op ">>"; exp = parse_expression >] ->
    Whatif(Var(var), exp, parse_expression)
  | [< 'Kwd "for"; 'Op "("; exp1 = parse_expression; 'Op "<"; exp2 = parse_expression; 'Op ")"; 'Kwd "do"; exp3 = parse_expression >] ->
    For(exp1, exp2, exp3)
  | [< 'Kwd "yell"; 'Str s >] ->
    Yell(s)
  | [< 'Ident var; 'Op "+="; exp = parse_expression >] ->
    Increment(var, exp)
  | [< 'Ident var >] ->
    Var(var)
  | [< 'Int i >] ->
    Int(i)
  | [< 'Str s >] ->
    Str(s)

and parse_variable = parser
  | [< 'Ident var; 'Op "="; 'Kwd "int"; 'Op "!="; exp = parse_expression >] ->
    IntVar(var, exp)
  | [< 'Ident var; 'Op "="; 'Kwd "string"; 'Op "!="; exp = parse_expression >] ->
    StringVar(var, exp)
  | [< 'Ident var >] ->
    Var(var)

This parser uses OCaml’s parser combinator library to parse expressions, statements, and variables in NoLang. It defines two functions, parse_expression and parse_variable, which are used to parse different types of expressions and variables in NoLang.

The parse_expression function is used to parse expressions in NoLang, such as variable declarations, whatif statements, for loops, yell statements, and variable assignments. It uses pattern matching to handle each type of expression, and it returns an abstract syntax tree (AST) representation of the parsed expression.

The parse_variable function is used to parse variables in NoLang, including variables that have been constrained to a specific type (such as int or string). It uses pattern matching to handle each type of variable, and it returns an AST representation of the parsed variable.

This is just one way that a parser for NoLang could be implemented in OCaml. There are many different approaches that could be used to parse NoLang code, and the specific details of the parser will depend on the requirements of your application.

The reason they didn’t do this (and they did try) is that it’s a very difficult thing to do.

As far as usefulness and correction are concerned I’m ok with a bot generating code. However:

• I have doubts that it would be scalable in terms of the project’s complexity and size.

• I would bet that its training is partially based on some interestingly licensed code and I would definitely ask a lawyer before deploying generated code.

• I don’t know that I’d like the bot to generate the tests, I’d be suspicious that it introduced an error in the test suite that exactly matches (and hides) an error in the code. I guess this point somewhat echos @dbuenzli 's.

2 Likes

That’s because you haven’t asked nicely :slight_smile:

You will act as if you were an OCaml toplevel. I will write OCaml expressions. You will reply with the type of that expression and the value resulting from its evaluation in a single coloured code block. Do not write explanations. Do not suggest anything.

My first command is:

let rec f = function → | x :: t → x * 2 :: x * 2 :: f t
let x = f [1; 2; 3]

will answer:

val f : int list -> int list
val x : int list = [2; 2; 4; 4; 6; 6]

Of course, it’s not perfect, and it makes silly mistakes. But you can still use it to compute fib 1024 faster than your computer :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It takes time for the program to perfect and then it takes longer time to convince the general public that it is correct.

We used to trust humans’ calculation more than machines’ and computer was an occupation. But now, we trust machines’ much more than humans’, and we use computer to exclusively refer to a machine.

What I mean is that ChatGPT cannot open a bash window and run dune build/dune exec. It can interpret code, but I believe what happened behind the scenes is wildly different from normal compilation etc.

I was also able to got it to evaluate some simple code of my made-up language.

Did anybody try to have it solve some https://adventofcode.com/ problems?

Just for the fun!

Success on day 3! 🥳 10 seconds for part 1! ⭐️
Let's accelerate problem solving, and by extension the automation of the developer profession! pic.twitter.com/Sa79wMwten

— Carl Öst Wilkens (@ostwilkens) December 3, 2022

Yes. People were getting high places (1st and 2nd (but I think later removed from leaderboard

And the entire process is automated.