Opam file location

I made a pull request for updating the z3 opam package here https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository/pull/15087 and was told that the latest version of z3 could be installed via the flag --dev.

z3 has recently switched a dependency over to zarith from num. It was suggested that an opam file should be in the z3 repo

I don’t think it makes sense to put an opam file at the root of the project. Can I add the opam file for a package not at the root of the project?

Well, you are allowed to put your package definition files in a opam/ subdirectory as well :slight_smile:

(quoting the manual: « When pinning a package, the source is searched for metadata in an opam or <pkgname>.opam file, either at the root of the source tree or in an opam directory. »)

2 Likes

Out of pure curiosity, what makes you think it “doesn’t make sense”?

Thanks for the replies. They are very useful.

I don’t know what the maintainer’s opinions is, I still have to ask, but on subjective aesthetic grounds, I wouldn’t want an opam file in the root directory of a project whose main focus is really C, C++, and maybe python. It’s kind of messy from that perspective. Maybe I’m totally off base.