Ocp-indent and user-setup out of sync for vim?

It looks like user-setup sets up .vimrc to look for ocp-indent's vim indent config file in the wrong place. user-setup adds a line to .vimrc that sources /Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/vim/syntax/ocp-indent.vim, but ocp-indent doesn’t create that file.

Two questions: (1) Could there be something odd about my general configuration that is causing this? (2) Where would I file an issue? With ocp-indent or user-setup?

Freshly install latest ocp-indent (1.6.1) and user-setup (0.6), and then:

~$ opam user-setup install
~$ tail -4 .vimrc
if count(s:opam_available_tools,"ocp-indent") == 0
  source "/Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/vim/syntax/ocp-indent.vim"
endif
" ## end of OPAM user-setup addition for vim / ocp-indent ## keep this line
~$ ls -l /Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/vim/syntax/ocp-indent.vim
ls: /Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/vim/syntax/ocp-indent.vim: No such file or directory
~$ cd .opam/4.06.1/share/
~/.opam/4.06.1/share$ ls -ld vim
ls: vim: No such file or directory
~/.opam/4.06.1/share$ find . -name '*vim*'
./merlin/vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/ctrlp/locate.vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/ctrlp/outline.vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/merlin_find.vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/merlin_type.vim
./merlin/vim/autoload/merlin_visual.vim
./merlin/vim/ftdetect/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/ftplugin/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/ftplugin/ocaml.vim
./merlin/vim/ftplugin/omlet.vim
./merlin/vim/plugin/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/syntax/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/syntax_checkers/ocaml/merlin.vim
./merlin/vim/syntax_checkers/omlet/merlin.vim
./ocp-indent/vim
./ocp-indent/vim/indent/ocaml.vim

It looks like that last file is what user-setup should be referencing in the source line in .vimrc.

@mars0i It’s been fixed in opam-user-setup master branch (commit). A new version of the package will be released soon.
Until the release, you can patch manually your .vimrc:

-   source "/Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/vim/syntax/ocp-indent.vim"
+   source "/Users/marshall/.opam/4.06.1/share/ocp-indent/vim/indent/ocaml.vim"

@rjbou, excellent–thanks very much.

New version user-setup.0.7 (containing the fix) released.

2 Likes

Well, … I am still having trouble with user-setup and vim.

I have a lot of stuff in my normal .vimrc, and something in there interacts with the OCaml config that user-setup installs in ways that mess up either the OCaml config or behavior on other files that’s important to me.

A partial solution is to have one .vimrc file that contains only user-setup-generated code, and a separate file with my normal configuration code. I can load an alternate initialization file with vim -u .vimrc.alternate.

The weird thing is that -u file definitely initializes file instead of .vimrc, but if file is the file containing all and only user-setup-generated code, it doesn’t seem to work. For example, I don’t get OCaml indentation behavior. However, if I put the all-and-only user-setup-generated code in .vimrc, it does get executed. It seems as if there is something in the code that won’t work with -u, but will work during the normal initialization process. As I said, this seems weird.

I don’t think it’s the responsibility of user-setup maintainers to debug or to fix the problem, and it’s not an OCaml problem per se, but I thought I’d mention it here anyway.

Here is a solution to the problem that the user-setup configurations were executing when they were in .vimrc but not when they were in another file that I ran with the commandline option -u:

It turns out that vim’s system initialization file isn’t run if you use -u. (You have to read the internal :help initialization file carefully to figure this out. You can find out the name and path of this file with :version)

My new solution is to put the user-setup configuration in a file other than .vimrc, which I call .vimrc.ocaml, but add a line to execute the system initialization file at the beginning of this script. On my system this line is:

source /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/vimrc

Then I can use a different script as my .vimrc for everything except editing OCaml source, but use a shell alias that executes gvim -u ~/.vimrc.ocaml.

I’m happy now. :slight_smile: