Ocaml-ts-mode - Emacs ocaml major mode using tree sitter

This weekend I got interested in emacs major modes based on treesitter, so I decided to implement ocaml-ts-mode. The code can be found here:

It was actually very easy thanks to the hard work others have done in creating the treesitter grammar.

It supports:

• Syntax highlighting of .ml and .mli files.
  • Initial indentation support (this is probably currently broken in multiple places)
  • C-c C-a - Switch between .ml and .mli files for a module.

This is less feature rich than Tuareg mode, so I don’t know if it replaces it. If anything, maybe it could be integrated into tuareg mode.

I have no experience writing elisp so this probably has obvious mistakes. Contributions welcome!

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Whoops, in my excitement learning about treesitter I didn’t notice that there already is an ocaml-ts-mode. That one is probably the preferred one to use. I’ll probably direct any of my development towards it. But learning how to make a major mode was a fun experience.

3 Likes

I’m not sure which mode you’re referring to, but I don’t think that there’s any ocaml-ts-mode with active development and any meaningful adoption yet. Perhaps yours will be the first one!

This is the mode I guess : GitHub - dmitrig/ocaml-ts-mode: OCaml major mode using tree-sitter

Unfortunately it’s a WIP without any development in 6 months.
Any competent people to help?