New name for jbuilder

IMHO, it would be nice to add the success & failures of cross compilation to obi.

Definitely. We’re getting the basics stabilised first (to make it run unattended), and then will be adding cross-compilation (and native Windows compilation) to the cluster results.

2 Likes

Seriously, a great big thank you to all the jbuilder maintainers. This tool is fricken awesome.

Is there a plan for what the jbuild file will be called? I was thinking maybe “Dunefile” was a good idea (or maybe simply “Dune”?)

2 Likes

Go all in on Dune; melange.

Come on, call it _spice :wink:

or with less nerd-cred, something with sand? i like _sand or the file extension .sand . it has a simple obvious connection and it sounds nice.

1 Like

When is the new dune package going to be on opam? And how long is jbuilder going to stay (for compatibility)? I’d like to make new releases of libs that I migrated to jbuilder, but I’d rather wait and use dune instead :slight_smile:

1 Like

As the original author of the opam-cross repositories, I want to thank the Dune authors and maintainers, and especially @rgrinberg, for excellent work on cross-compilation. Admittedly, I had some initial reservations, but the result has exceeded all of my expectations both in its quality and in how rapidly it was implemented. This is positively one of the best cross-compilation experiences in any of the language ecosystems I take part in.

18 Likes

Related: here is how to safely rename a package in opam:
http://opam.ocaml.org/doc/2.0/Tricks.html#How-to-rename-a-package

2 Likes

Three cheers to @rgrinberg and @jeremiedimino for the Dune implementation, but also to you for keeping the opam-cross repositories going all this time!

It’s probably a good time to start thinking about shifting some of the cross repos over to the ocaml/ github org, once our Windows CI kicks into shape in early 2018. We have the machines now, but not the automation just yet…

4 Likes

Sure, I will provide assistance with that.

3 Likes