New name for jbuilder

kashmir
I think camel lives in there.

command name is kas.

1 Like

nice but maybe too politically charged?

1 Like

sahara isnā€™t overly politically charged, but itā€™s a bit dry as names go.

3 Likes

Thinking it over, maybe, vizir would be a better name

• is shorter
  • is french for vizier (and an alternative English spelling)
  • respects the trend of vowel dropping :wink:

I like it, because, vizir is someone who orchestrates/manages things, but ultimately is not in charge.
Exactly what a build system should do.

4 Likes

Just be aware that thereā€™s an old french comics, featuring an anti-hero called ā€œiznogoudā€, who is a vizir (and wants to become calife in place of the current calife). What does that tell us on jbuilder? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

just a heads-up: there is a parallel name discussion going on in the issue thread linked in the first post, with almost non-overlapping name suggestions. taster: pyramid, gobi, obuilder

Our Vizir will be ā€œVerygoudā€.

4 Likes

Folk, I made a poll to get some aggregation of the overall opinions.

https://poll.disroot.org/JPZV4Zt5fG14MwWM

The names are loosely in the order I saw from here and in Github, omitting ones that didnā€™t seem to get any favour.

If Iā€™ve missed your favourite one, mention me with the name.

1 Like

Fixed broken link. It is: https://poll.disroot.org/JPZV4Zt5fG14MwWM

1 Like

Dune would bridge OCaml and Dune books, that would be amazing.

3 Likes

@orbifix Could you add Giza, please?

I saw no option for vizir which was my favorite suggestion so far.

Since dune seems to attract attention, I also propose sand.

Added giza, vizir and sand.

ā€œmeharisteā€ is suggested in an issue comment, but the poll lists ā€œmaharisteā€. Is it possible to rename the entry in the poll? Until now, if one saw ā€œmaharisteā€ and didnā€™t know its meaning, it was difficult to search for the suggestion. If itā€™s difficult to rename the option without losing existing votes, or just not worth the trouble regardless, this post now provides a pointer.

Oops. Fixed. Was easy to remove and add as there was only one tentative vote.

Llamas because they are the camels cooler cousin, in all seriousness here are my suggestions,

convoy, forger, fabricate, mason, artisan, motorcade, vulcan, regin, perdix.

Would you consider narrowing it down? The table is getting big. If you gave me one or two I could add them.

Just added my vote for dune. Considering the likely target demographics (nerdy computer scientists), this cannot be beat in marketing appeal. Not to mention that itā€™s short: most people will type it with two fingers only!

1 Like

convoy, perdix, or mason, put whichever two you prefer