Linking with different C library depending on OS

I’m porting the ocamlfuse package to dune and it required linking with (c_library_flags (-losxfuse)) on Mac and (c_library_flags (-lfuse)) on all other operating systems. How do I go about customizing the dune build based on host operating system?

Do I have to use dune “environments” for this? I imagine I would also need to modify the opam file to use different build commands based on OS?

The recipe for this is as follows:

1. Create an OCaml script using the dune.configurator library that will do the OS detection and output a flags file in sexp format

2. Use (:include flags.sexp) where flags.sexp is generated by your script.

Refer to this manual page for more information: https://dune.readthedocs.io/en/latest/configurator.html and if you have any more questions then please ask.

There are no dune “environments”, I think you might mean profiles here but I wouldn’t recommend them for this use case. Conditional compilation solves this problem. I also advise against using anything but the standard dune command in the opam file. All of this configuration should be done in your dune build itself.

2 Likes

Thank you Rudi, this was extremely helpful.

For posterity:

ocamlfuse packages is now ported, and you can see the relevant dune file and discover.ml file.

The project also uses camlidl to generate the C bindings, which may be of interest.

When I said “environments”, I was referring to the env stanza which came up when I searched the docs for “environment”, the keyword “operating system” did not yield anything useful, the keyword I needed was “configuration”, but that never occurred to me.

1 Like