JaneStreet and Market Volatility

I couldn’t help but ask the question and please forgive me if this isn’t the correct place for this, but I’m genuinely curious as to how the past few weeks have been at JaneStreet as a result of the crazy market activity that’s been going on :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: . How is the OCaml infra holding up? What are some stories from the battlefield @Yaron_Minsky ?

1 Like

Surely the recent volatility is nothing compared to most of last year. Yes lots of attention is on a couple of overly shorted and traded stocks but they are all fairly modest in market cap. Jane Street doesn’t serve retail clients so they can deal with the surge in trade volume on these stocks as much or as little as they like. They should thrive on volatility if 2020 is anything to go by. They are private but large public brokers like GS or JPM all reported bumper trading profits. Jane Street shouldn’t be any different. No I don’t work there so this is just a wild guess. Indeed it is likely inappropriate for the forum but it is hard to resist a good chance to speculate.

2 Likes