Dependabot and OCaml

I learned recently about Dependabot and its free-of-charge integration with GitHub (it’s owned by GitHub anyway). They support C#, F#, Ruby, Python, JavaScript, Java, PHP, Elixir, Rust, Go, Docker, and even Terraform. Having support for OCaml would be quite beneficial too, even for the more active project, relieving the burden of maintenance in a tiny bit. So if you want to make it happen - feel free share your feedback with GitHub support. I created a feature request at their GitHub account.

I asked someone working on dependabot about this a few weeks ago and they suggested that it was low priority given other more popular languages aren’t supported yet, and that the best approach to get it quickly is for the community to add contribute it via https://github.com/dependabot/dependabot-core.

I think this would be super helpful - one request I’d ask to also support esy.json files as well as opam files.

2 Likes

When I first read about dune, I wondered if the authors had considered hooking into bazel instead of implementing a language specific build system. I quickly dismissed the thought at the time.

Last week, I noticed that renovatebot supports bazel. Being able to use renovatebot with ocaml would be nice, but overall the perk is not a game changer. I wonder if other tools will follow renovatebot’s lead. Will the dependency analysis in github start to support bazel?