Could you please describe your stack for web apps development in OCaml with reasoning about it?

web

Could you please describe your stack for web apps development in OCaml with reasoning about it?

I’m curious about this as well. This is what I’ve understood so far:

• there are no production-grade database bindings for Postgres. Discussion here.

• there are no full-fledged web frameworks in the OCaml ecosystem with commercial users and maintenance. Ocsigen has quite a bit of learning curve and probably is not a good fit for small inexperienced teams.

• there is Opium by @rgrinberg, which adds routing and HTTP niceities to CoHTTP, which is a robust web server. It is minimalist compared to things like Rails. But with a session management library like inhabitedtype/ocaml-session and OCaml’s power and type-safety, we can hand-roll a sturdy web app.

Only if there was a better story in the database binding section… :slight_smile:

About postgres in production:

Markus’ Posgres bindings are very very solid
http://mmottl.github.io/postgresql-ocaml/
(PG’OCaml, without the syntax extension, is fine too, and more Lwt-friendly, but if you need TLS, you need to setup tunnels separately).

About web-development stacks:

We’ve used the whole Ocsigen/Eliom stack in a decently big project,
it was a few years ago, it was overall good, but indeed the whole stack at once can be a bit
hard to learn and a bit of a moving target (much less nowadays).
And it could be a bit annoying to manage flexible deployments (I mean compared to what we are used to in OCaml, but not compared to popular frameworks in mono-typed languages…
anyway nowadays it just means “use docker”).

In a few much more recent projects, I’ve used an Ocsigen-light setup:
Cohttp + Js_of_ocaml + Tyxml_js + (Búnzli’s) react.
That’s really nice and very "flexible/hackable” (things like having the result of js_of_ocaml's compilation lifted on the server code as a string, or using JSONP servers, webworkers, etc.).
There is a one-time build-system & communication initial setup cost though because everything is custom (jbuilder/dune has made things easier there too).

I’d second that. After playing with it when building ezpostgresql, the impression I get was that these bindings are pretty much stable, in the sense that most postgresql features have proper representations in it so you don’t have to write any C code. One thing to note is, to achieve that, the API is not necessarily user- or FP-friendly. However, one can build a functional abstraction on top of it if they want to (which ezpostgresql is intended to be for me personally, and has been so far).

For webservers, I’m a fan of a lightweight ones (e.g. Express, Sinatra, Flask, etc.), so Opium hits the spot nicely. It supports middlewares so you can pretty much do anything with it. I seldom have to think about HTML and templating since the frontend will usually get separated anyway (and if it does, you might be interested in Reason and ReasonReact).

There is a one-time build-system & communication initial setup cost though because everything is custom (jbuilder/dune has made things easier there too).

Do you have an example online of such a setup ?