[ANN] riot 0.0.5 – an actor-model multi-core scheduler for OCaml 5

Hi folks :wave: just released Riot v0.0.5 on opam with some quality of life improvements, and a bunch of bug fixes:

• You can now do communication by name by registering a pid. Names are currently strings – this helps in situations where you need a globally known process but you can’t thread the actual process id everywhere.

• Timers should be working correctly now :upside_down_face:

• I/O should behave more reasonably when reading/writing to closed fds – no more pesky SIGPIPEs killing your app without reason.

You can read the changelog here.

If you’re interested in contributing, there’s a few issues tagged with help wanted, but don’t hesitate to reach out to me on Discord/X: @leostera

Happy hacking! :tada:

16 Likes

Riot is an actor-model multi-core scheduler for OCaml 5. It brings Erlang-style concurrency to the language, where lightweight processes communicate via message-passing.

Just to give some context.

4 Likes

Very cool library, nice work.

Have you thought about adding support for Custom Runtime Events into Riot? That would enable a nice tracing capability with OCaml 5.x and it could integrate with tools like meio to show the live actor / supervision tree.

1 Like

Thanks! :sparkles:

I have now! This looks great, I need to dig deeper into how meio expect these events/traces to look like. Thanks for the pointer! Also any guidance is appreciated :slight_smile:

What I was considering is building an observer-cli clone at some point, since there’s more info in Riot about each process (like mailbox sizes, current suspension status, whether a process has any timers associated with it, etc).

Start with looking at 5.1.0 by patricoferris · Pull Request #67 · ocaml-multicore/meio · GitHub and the meio-runtime-events part which should be less tied to eio than the naming suggests. In general leveraging custom-runtime-events is the way to go.

1 Like

I’m intrigued/interesting in the new runtime events, but I’ve found them a bit confusing so far. My main concerns are:

• it looks like whatever listens to them must be polling in a tight loop, with a noticeable CPU time consumption?
  • it also seems like there’s a chance some events might be lost if the ringbuffer is full. There are cases where it’s fine, but also cases where it’s not, I think, in a general purpose tracing/logging facility.

For context I mostly rely on ocaml-trace for these needs, and I think it could have a runtime-events backend. But my attempt at hooking runtime events to get GC info was a failure.

1 Like

I’m curious what you were trying to do with GC info which ended up in failure.

Relatedly, have you looked at Olly? GitHub - tarides/runtime_events_tools. It provides a good template to start from if you are hacking your own thing with runtime events.

2 Likes

Yes, I need to look at olly’s code indeed :-).

I was trying to build spans (with timestamps) for GC entry/GC exit zones
based on the corresponding events, and ended up with spans that would
not close, spans that would overlap with other spans, etc. I don’t have
the code at hand though. The docs could certainly use a few examples of
how to collect events for “start of major GC” “end of major GC” and
counters, for example!

edit: I found the main issue: timestamps. The runtime event timestamps are opaque and there’s no way to correlate them to anything else (e.g. Mtime.t). This means I can’t integrate GC major begin/end into a wider tracing system, because I can’t adjust the timestamps.

1 Like

This is a great alternative to having to wait on the great unification of async/lwt/eio (not that it’s ever going to happen nicely). With a scheduler in place, I realized that I can write synchronous blocking code now in each process, à la go and elixir.

1 Like

Small correction, you can already mix Eio with Lwt inside the same project using lwt_eio and Eio. We are using that in solver-service and there is a nice tutorial of how to write EIO and Lwt code. Mixing Async with Eio is possible but requires changes to Async GitHub - talex5/async_eio: Run Async code from within Eio.

6 Likes

Just worked my way through the 5 provided examples and Riot seems super nifty! Eagerly looking forward to the next few example sections!

PS. I saw this in the 4th example and I curious how this works?

In fact, we are strategically placing yields all through the standard library to make it as seamless as possible to write Riot programs without thinking about scheduler starvation.

2 Likes

thank you! :sparkles: – this is pure motivation for me to write them haha so thanks for the kind words.

The Riot scheduler relies on cooperative scheduling, which means that the processes need to suspend themselves in one way or another. To suspend themselves, a process can call Riot.yield (). This function is part of Riot and it performs an algebraic effect that stops the function, saves the current state of the process, and starts running another process instead.

Eventually, this other process will suspend too, and the first one will run again.

The classic example is to make a process that loops infinitely:

let rec loop () = loop () in
let pid = spawn (fun () -> loop ()) end

Unfortunately this process also starves a scheduler. The loop function has no room for suspension. We can fix it with a call to yield ():

let rec loop () =
  yield (); (* <- this line is new! *)
  loop ()
in
let pid = spawn (fun () -> loop ()) end

Done! Now this process runs forever, but also leaves room for other processes to execute.

The problem here is that sprinkling yield () through application code just sucks – so instead of forcing you to do that, we include calls to yield () in strategic places.

The most natural place to suspend is actually the receive () call, where if you have an empty mailbox you’ll just be suspended until a message arrives.

But there are other examples. Like if you are going to read from the network with Net.Socket.receive, this operation would typically block your application, so really Net.Socket.receive actually uses an effect to suspend the process until the socket is ready to be read.

In a similar way, future operations like File.read will be “blocking” from the point of view of the current process, but they will be suspension points under the hood.

Hope this makes sense!

4 Likes

Sorry for what is probably a dune newbie question:

I go into riot/examples/1-hello-world and then:

$ dune build

But no executable gets built. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

What is the output of running the command?

1 Like

Entering directory ‘/home/phil/devel/OCaml/Riot/riot’

That’s it. No error messages.

1 Like

Can you try putting a deliberate error in that example, like a syntax error, then running the build command? Just to check if it’s actually building and succeeding with no output.

1 Like

$ dune build
Entering directory ‘/home/phil/devel/OCaml/Riot/riot’
File “examples/1-hello-world/main.ml”, line 1, characters 0-3:
1 | foo bar baz
^^^
Error: Unbound value foo

(does it put the executable somewhere else besides the current directory, perhaps?)

1 Like

Yes, it should be in _build/default/... somewhere. You don’t need to know its path, you can just run dune exec ./main.exe to get dune to run it for you.

1 Like

Oh, got it, I thought the executable would end up in riot/examples/1-hello-world and wasn’t seeing it. I found it in: riot/_build/default/examples/1-hello-world/main.exe

Thanks.

1 Like