[ANN] opam 2.0.0 final release and repository upgrade

We are happy to announce the opam 2.0.0 final release.

A few weeks ago, we released a last release candidate to be later promoted to 2.0.0, synchronised with the opam package repository upgrade to 2.0.0.

More information in this blog post.

We want to thank opam repository maintainers and OS maintainers for their help.

11 Likes

I’ve upgraded the opam package in MacPorts to 2.0.0, so MacPorts users can upgrade opam that way quite easily.

3 Likes

So, what’s the status of opam on windows?

3 Likes

Same with homebrew, the pull request was just merged today.

3 Likes

Thanks @perry, @Leonidas! Fyi, we intend to release a 2.0.1 in the next weeks, with some fixes.

So, what’s the status of opam on windows?

@Freyr666 opam 2.0.0 has a better windows support thanks to the huge work of @dra27. I’ll let him give a more complete answer.

I know Windows support can be a PITA but some status update would be nice. The build instructions state that this is still a work in progress. How far are we from a usable version? Which areas need more work? Is help needed on some front?

For 2.0.0, Cygwin is completely supported. Separately, an OCaml/flexdll problem means that at the moment it’s 32-bit Cygwin which is supported and not 64-bit Cygwin, but that’s an OCaml issue, not an opam one.

On native Windows (MSVC and mingw-w64), opam builds, but you won’t be able to run opam init - the support needed to use Cygwin to provide Unix tools is presently sat in pull requests which need rebasing for opam 2.1. I shall be working on this post-ICFP this week! In order to prevent an blow-up in the number of compiler variants for Windows, there’re some new features needed in opam which are prototyped, but they had to be cut from the 2.0 release or we’d have never got it out the door! (amongst other things, these same features will make it easier to turn on flambda, etc.)

3 Likes