[ANN] Odig 0.0.7, lookup documentation of installed OCaml packages

Hello,

It’s my pleasure to announce the release 0.0.7 of odig. Odig is a command line tool to lookup documentation of installed OCaml packages.

Once it has made it to the repo, install with opam install ocaml-manual odig and consult the manual (or via odig doc odig).

This release provides support for odoc 2.0.0. The release notes have all the details.

Best,

Daniel

A big thanks to my sponsors. I welcome the new sponsor @joelb.

7 Likes

Thanks for the release!

Curious if there any plans to add a feature to odig to generate documentation for an opam switch in the manpage format? (as I understand odoc can do that). That would be very useful for those of us working on remote boxes through ssh.

Personally I don’t think manpages can do justice to the highly hyperlinked and cross referenced docsets the ocamldoc language produces. As a documentation author I find it a bit annoying that all my work (and the odoc dev’s hard linking work) gets destroyed by using such a poor documentation medium.

I’m wondering whether you considered using a text mode browser (.e.g emacs’ eww, w3m, etc.). For example:

BROWSER=w3m odig doc odig 

Last time I checked odoc generated docsets worked quite well with it (and we should improve odoc generation if they don’t, because it likely also improves accessibility) and provided in my opinion a far better experience that a manpage could.

That being said if you really think the above is not satisfactory, it costs nothing to open an issue on odig. I won’t prioritize it but I might consider it when I review odoc's driving (which needs to be modernized to the new odoc ways of working).

3 Likes

This works surprisingly well, thank you! (I’ve never actually tried text web browsers before).

Though I’m still wondering if man pages could be better for lookups in API reference. I have a little util which searches through man pages with fzf and so I can quickly bring up the one I need. The lack of links between manages is annoying, I agree. Maybe info pages could be used instead as they have hyperlinks (though not sure how widespread they are outside of GNU)?

1 Like

I tried it again after I posted and I actually quite like it :–)

You mean like lookup this function/type name ? In fact that’s something I would like to improve in odig both in the cli and in the web pages (along with bringing search in general).

Yes, exactly. Having something which can output a list of names, locations of definitions of those names in the documentation would be very useful for looking up with fzf or something like that.

1 Like

Slightly related, for precise name lookups the problem should likely be solved at the odoc level. There is this old odoc issue which I wanted so that I could for example ask merlin for a fully qualified name in emacs and hook a bit of magic to open the odig generated docset in my browser at the right anchor.

3 Likes

That’s something I wanted too - effectively it’s just resolving a reference (i.e., a comment reference: {!Foo.Bar.baz}) on the command-line. It’s turns out to be pretty simple; I’ve had a prototype doing this before, so I’ve added it to the 2.1 project. A more complete implementation of search needs to be able to rank results, which will require tracking uses which we’re planning for 2.2.

3 Likes