This core tag is for discussing the Base/Core/Async suite of libraries. All of these libraries are designed to work well together and share common idioms (though they can be used independently as well)
Here’s a quick guide to the major pieces:
- Base: Newest of the group. A replacement for the Inria stdlib. It’s designed to be lightweight, portable, and easy to build. There are no UNIX dependencies or build-time dependencies on PPXs.
- Stdio: a complement to Base, containing basic blocking IO, based on OCaml’s input and output channels.
- Core_kernel: a more fully-featured, but still portable stdlib, extending Base and Stdio.
- Core: Extension of Core_kernel, including Unix support
- Async_kernel: Portable library for building concurrent programs.
- Async: Concurrent programming on Unix, extending Async_kernel.