Why Facebook does not sponsor Multicore project?

Wow, I go away for a few days and return to this forum to find I’ve entered a time portal back to 2012 :slight_smile:

@XVilka, you’ve been around here for long enough that you should know that the title of this post is simply incorrect, and I dislike answering loaded questions. As @gemmag notes, multicore OCaml wouldn’t exist without Jane Street’s sponsorship over many years of hard work. Please edit the title of this post to correct it for the record.

You’ve also posted in another thread just 15 hours ago that shows you are aware of the active multicore PRs on the OCaml issue tracker, so I’m confused by the implication that there is noone working on multicore OCaml. Are you simply disappointed that it isn’t finished yet, and not shipping overnight?

I understand your desire to just solve your problem and have parallelism for performance. Some thoughts:

• There are active multicore PRs that are complex, affect all architectures and distributions, and require extensive testing and feedback. You can for example look at ocaml/ocaml#8713 and help verify that it doesn’t regress on your codebases.

• You’ve posted about performance problems you’re seeing but not really followed up on that with any constructive feedback. It could well be the case that multicore will help with parallel access to some large shared memory structure. It’s a pretty good time to profile your application and to see if it’s a good candidate for implementation within the multicore OCaml branches.

• Multicore OCaml is making steady forward progress, but requires painstaking benchmarking and careful design to ensure we don’t mess up the lovely single core experience that has served us so well for the past few decades. The reality of the work is that we spend most of our days poring over benchmark results at the moment to understand the multivariate effects of even the smallest changes in the runtime. Take a look at https://github.com/ocaml-bench/sandmark – well-explained macrobenchmark contributions are welcome here.

This thread is so far full of rather well-trodden discussions that we’ve seen many times over the years. I’d encourage you all to look forward to the PRs that are exciting flowing into ocaml/ocaml at the moment and get involved with testing them and providing concrete feedback to help make multicore ship instead!

Generally as a contribution rule, if you see a PR that has been lingering for a while and want to help get it merged, do not just post a “ping” comment on that issue. Instead, take a few moments to clone the PR and build it, check its status against the current master, and see if you can post even a short update of your results along with your query. This will contribute to the PR – even a little more new information is often useful. I’m looking forward to seeing more testing feedback on our various GitHub trackers!

24 Likes