What are the biggest reasons newcomers give up on OCaml?

Fantastic summary work @patricoferris, thanks a lot! (cc @davesnx : if you were thinking of working on this yourself, maybe don’t.)

With my “OCaml Software Foundation” hat, I can say that in general “developer experience” is one thing we want to help improve. If someone that we could fund would be interested in spending time turning more of the feedback points here into actionable issues – and ideally in helping fixing these issues – please get in touch. (Out of the three clear feedback point you mentioned, “documentation”, “compiler errors” and “Windows support”, we have funded actions on documentation and Windows support, and are open to do more in all three areas if we find the right thing to fund.)

With my “compiler developer” hat and my “contributor to the tooling ecosystem” hat, I also want to say that many of the issues listed actually require a lot more work than people might imagine upfront, and find themselves competing for contributors which are a scarce resource. My general feeling is that most people already contributing are trying to improve things, but progress is slow because solving complex issues takes time.

7 Likes