v3.OCaml.org: A roadmap for OCaml's online presence

I guess everyone has it’s own notion of reliable but it does sometimes stop updating altogether (and that’s only the latest occurence).

If you have some funds to invest, get in touch :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your work on this.

So that page uses various external resources: fonts, javascript, … – which allows these external partners to track (log analysis, cookies) clients.

For me, the most useful item on opam - Packages are the reverse dependencies – are there plans to add them to v3.ocaml.org/packages as well? That’d be highly appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @hannes :))

That sounds like a good point. Do you have any suggestions or ideas for helping to improve this beyond minimising the dependencies? Perhaps an issue on v3 would be a better place to discuss that?

Yes! It’s on my todo list :))

This is an interesting point. So, two things:

• These externally-loaded fonts can of course be made internally hosted, and the issue goes away
  • I checked and the page right now has no cookies (zero)

So, if you’ll forgive the pun, that tracks with what avsm said :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:raised_hand: send me some details of where I can get access to the originals too. I also want to try fixing the audio levels to remove the background noise, the older recordings are difficult to watch because of that.

3 Likes

There is a PR to add leaflet, which will make some runtime fetches for tiles, but at least the tiles won’t be coming from Google Maps.

There aren’t any widgets embedding Twitter, Facebook, or other feeds, so I can’t think of any other javascript issues at the moment.

Wow the new website is AMAZING :star_struck:. Fantastic work by the team. Especially the integrated docs. They look way better than before, and secondly what an amazing effort to have all the docs in one place!

5 Likes

Just another note of thanks: the centralized documentation site is great. I usually have odig keep a local site for the libraries I use most frequently, but beyond that, dealing with hunting down online documentation sites their significant style variations (looking at you, lwt :wink:) was a frequent, but no longer!, minor irritant.

6 Likes

Very nice! Though, starting from v3.ocaml.org, I tried to find a link to videos. Maybe, I did not search hard enough? Eventually, I remembered the url: watch.ocaml.org. Maybe, adding a link to this awesome service in the community page would be nice?
Thanks for the amazing effort!

1 Like

I think someone already said this but I can’t remember when and where: The integrated doc generator systematically skips the first comment before a numbered section, in each mli file. This is bad because this is where you often find interesting general comment about the module.

This can be seen for instance with tsdl or bogue

If not already done, where should I report this?

I reported it here: Some more documentation regression · Issue #203 · ocaml/ocaml.org · GitHub

2 Likes

thanks for the report! is it indeed quite critical