The end of Camlp4

Sure, the main question is whether by this time distribution maintainers and the community will be able to update the infrastructure, so that once they will finally get the 4.09 update, they won’t notice the difference. My point is that if this won’t happen, and by 4.09 there will be roughly still the same set of packages which need camlp4, then they won’t have a choice. The way how OCaml infrastructure works, is that older versions of compilers as well as major packages are not getting bug fixes. So, if you’re using some library and an older version of OCaml, and this library has a bug, most likely the fixed version will require a newer version of OCaml.

Also, I’m not saying that there is anything unreasonable or that we don’t have enough time. I totally agree, that we should move away from camlp4 and the sooner we will start it the better. I’m just saying, that this package should be maintained (on a very minimal level) for at least a couple of years, before it finally reaches the state of oblivion. And currently, it is definitely far away from it (based on installation statistics).

Agreed.

In general, where to put it is not a big deal, we can always create a fresh organization, specifically for the purposes of camlp4. @jeremiedimino, what’s your plan on it? Are you going to leave camlp4 under ocaml orgranization or transfer it somewhere else? What preferences do you have?