Looking for Participants for User Survey on ocaml.org Package Documentation and Learn Area

Glad you found it useful :slight_smile:

Regarding the Fibonacci example, maybe just rename the function naive_fib and point to this URL in a comment just above the function name?

See: OPCEB chapter 8 on memoization for a more performant implementation

I think I may have another suggestion, I’ll detail a navigation experience from a user’s perspective.

Step 1: I go to the ocamlformat repo on github and see this mentioned on the README

For more information on configuration options, check out the documentation or run ocamlformat --help .

Step 2: Once I clicked on the documentation link, I’m greeted with a (mostly) blank page.

Step 3: A little surprised initially, I have to scan the page visually and carefully to see the documentation link on the right.

The documentation is probably the most important information and should be displayed “front and center”

As a comparaison, here’s a screenshot for an Elixir package:

There is no way you can miss that documentation link as your attention is naturally drawn to it reading top down, from the center of the page.

Also, thinking about it more, the center and largest portion of the page for a given package on ocaml.org being mostly blank gives an overall impression of “emptyness” on desktops. Perhaps that could be improved?

Here’s the link to the Elixir package page mentioned above, for inspiration. IMO whoever created those pages got many things right and their implementation could be used as a reference.

3 Likes