Expanding ocaml appeal to future open source application developers

If we come to think of OCaml as a product and users as customers, then we will be locked in a struggle for market dominance and we will try to compete with other languages. I think this would lead us to fall into the same trap that is driving all the structures in our civilization towards the deadly embrace of addiction to exponential growth.

Instead, I hope we will think of OCaml as an ecosystem. Then we’ll aim to maintain its current health and sustainability, and protect the diversity and life that is already at home here. But we will also strive to provide more fertile grounds for diversity (which entails diversity of uses and users and, principle among many other things, concern with accessibility, in the sense of empowering those with relative disability). We should also look to build mutualistic systems of exchange with other ecosystems. But above all, I think this calls for maintaining healthy (and kind) relationships between the various people and organizations within the ecosystem. I think this is what allows new entrants to the ecosystem to find a safe place to take root.

I believe that the best thing we can do to expand the appeal of OCaml in a way that is healthy and sustainable is to continue to nurture, cultivate, and protect the ecosystem. This should definitely entail being compassionate and responsive to the difficulties people face! People who are in this ecosystem, or who want to be, obviously encounter issues with documentation, familiarity of tooling, etc. But we can justify and motivate the repair and improvement on this front without orienting everything to the aim of scaling up or improving our marketing.

This is enough: People need help. Let’s see what we can do to help them!

I hope this is a path we can all agree on :camel: :green_heart:

17 Likes