Efficiency of a code using partial function evaluation

Hi,

I have a question if a partial function application can speed up the code in some neat manner.

Consider the following two codes:

Code 1:

type me = 
| true 
| Candel of string

let rec trans a num = match a with
| true -> num
| Candel s -> let temp = trans true in (temp 1) + (temp 2)

Here, the trans function is partially applied once to true, and then the partial function is applied with two integers, 1 and 2.

Vs Code 2:

type me = 
| true 
| Candel of string

let rec trans a num = match a with
| true -> num
| Candel s -> (trans true 1) + (trans true 2)

The full function is evaluated twice with (trance true 1) and (trans true 2).

My question is suppose I have many more evaluations, like (trance true 1) + (trans true 2) + (trance true 3) + (trans true 4), vs (temp 1) + (temp 2) + (temp 3) + (temp 4), etc. then will the two approaches work with the same computational complexity or, will one perform better than the other, and why?

I am asking, because if a part of recursion calls the recursive function twice, then the complexity is exponential typically, whereas when called once it is linear, so I was wondering if partial evaluation helps out in some way?

Thank you,
Gokul

The second one will work better. One important thing is that your trans function actually looks like (fun a num -> match ...). So, until the second argument has been applied, nothing will happen. As a consequence, let temp = trans true is actually slower because no computation is performed yet, but an allocation has to be performed so that the actual call can later remember that the first argument was true; moreover, that call is no longer a direct call to trans, but an indirect call to the closure containing both trans and true. So, your first variant introduces two sources of slowdown and no source of speedup.

Here is a third variant of your code:

let rec trans a = match a with
| true -> fun num -> num
| Candel s -> fun num -> let temp = trans true in (temp 1) + (temp 2)

This time, the execution can actually progress as soon as trans receives its first argument. So, it is no longer obvious which of the second or third variant is the fastest one, as there is now a trade-off between slowdown (closure allocation and call) and speedup (precomputing with just one argument).

in addition to @silene’s great explanation, I want to direct your attention to the fact that the theoretical time complexity of the algorithm does not really change between your two examples… the code is a bit contrived and your function is guaranteed to execute in O(1) as it is currently written, but assuming a general function in the shape of

let rec f = ...
| Base_case -> ...
| Recursive_case -> ... (f ...) (f ...)

you can’t really escape the time complexity of it without introducing a transformation / data structure which “bookkeeps” computations.

Thanks for the detailed clarification.

Thanks for clarifying on the time complexity as well