Compiling BATSH

I think the lack of the answer goes as a silent approval. Would be awesome if @darrenldl publish new version of Batsh and Dlist on opam with the new repos as the source.

I noticed I missed some responses which I probably should have chimed in, sorry about that.

@Akito @Leonidas @XVilka I can shoot another email toward the author and see what he thinks, but I don’t want to give the impression to the community that I am available to maintain it at all.

If under said premise it’s still desirable that I publish it, possibly only to change hands later, then I’m happy to send another email after the holidays to check which option the author prefers (i.e. transferring the repo, or note the fork as the official replacement, and/or publish under a new name say Batsh2 or whatever).

2 Likes

It’s been a week since my email, and I haven’t received any response, so I might look into submitting the packages as Dlist2 and Batsh2 (will wait for another week or two before actually doing it).

Is there any convention/policy on whether I can reuse a large part of the name without the author’s permission if the original author has stopped supporting the project?

Isn’t it enough that he did not respond? I think it would be fine to leave it as you proposed, but put a disclaimer into the description like “if there is a problem with the name, just contact XY” or something like that. I honestly don’t think he would send a lawyer after you or any of us. :laughing:

Well he might be in a long break (some of my colleagues, including myself are still on leave), so I’ll wait a bit longer just to be safe/polite.

True, I have never personally seen an non-company owned OSS gotten into a nasty legal situation.

I guess my question was more related to avoiding looking like name squatting/phishing, but OPAM submission goes through manual reviews rather than being fully automatic, so I guess the concern isn’t overly relevant.

I’ve got a reply from Carbo about him being okay with the possibilities of arrangement (transfer of ownership, or publishing under Batsh2+Dlist2, etc).

I was thinking ocaml-community org might be a good fit for Batsh if it’s still somewhat actively used? In which case I’ll open an issue at the meta repo at the ocaml-community.

Otherwise I don’t mind holding onto the ownership, or just have my forks named Batsh2 and Dlist2 and published accordingly. OTOH I am not familiar with what happens to the changes made in fork if repo ownership is transferred.

Any thoughts? @Akito @XVilka

You can ask Carbo, the author of Batsh, to:

1. Tag the description of his Batsh GitHub project with the following:
  [INACTIVE] A language that compiles to Bash and Windows Batch http://batsh.org
  1. Update the top of the README to mention: “This project is no longer being actively maintained. A recent build is available at https://github.com/darrenldl/Batsh”.
1 Like

Repo transfer should work fine, and Batsh is probably not that popular enough for the ocaml-communiity.
What you can do - create a new GitHub organization, with multiple users - e.g. yourself, the original author (just in case), you can add me, I can do simple maintenance like I already do in some other organizations. This way also every pull requests, issues, forks, stars, notifications, etc will be preserved.

I kinda prefer this way actually - creating an org escaped me for some reason.

And yeah, Batsh is not popular enough to warrant transfer to ocaml-community most likely.

(Thanks for the reply and templates tho @shakthimaan !)

An additional benefit is things will get redirected to the org repo automatically.

I’ll wait and see if @Akito has anything to add. If this org repo approach sounds fine to akito then I’ll email back accordingly.

Carbo has transferred the repo to here: https://github.com/batsh-dev-team/Batsh

I have added @XVilka and @Akito as members. Please let me know if I missed anyone.

Hey @darrenldl, thank you for the message!

Oh, I missed this in my inbox. I wasn’t home for the past week.

1 Like

@darrenldl amazing, thanks! What about Dlist? It is published on opam too, would be nice to get this merged https://github.com/BYVoid/Dlist/pulls

Maybe it can be transferred to the same organization?

1 Like

I uh…I completely forgot about it. I’ll send another email to Carbo.

1 Like

I hate to bump threads, but is still updated? Does it work with the latest version of OCaml?

The repository has not been updated regularly, but it looks like it should still work with reasonably recent versions of OCaml. I just tried with 4.10, and here is what I see:

• there was a build failure due to a breaking change in Core, I sent a PR to fix it.
  • there is one test failure (but most of the tests are passing)
  • building the final binary fails

Test failure:

Failure: Batsh Unit Tests:21:[Winbat]Command

expected: Println Called
Echo Called
Value 100%

but got: Println Called
Value 100%

Linking failure:

$ ocamlopt.opt -ccopt -static -g -o src/main.exe [...]
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lrt
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldl
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
2 Likes

I guess it doesn’t work with modern versions of OCaml right?

What exactly doesn’t work?
Open an issue in Issues · batsh-dev-team/Batsh · GitHub if you meet something.