Bounty for compilation cache in opam

I started to write a few posts on how opam should be used in my opinion and what to learn for someone comming from the javascript world. To support this effort, I think that compilation cache (I’m not sure that the name is correct, please tell me) is an important feature.

Some good work has already been done to tackle this issue. If you follow the instructions on this page, you should be able to experience instant switch creation or package installation. But it seems that there are still problems with ocamlfind.

As my skills are limited, I hope to motivate contributions on this task by providing a bounty. This is a 300 USD bounty. It can be found in this page: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1250468-local-cache-of-binary-packages

As a side note, I am thinking that we could have a topic gathering the different existing bounties. I already created one to fix lwt ppx in the past. Ahrefs creates bounties now and then. One central point could help for visibility.

7 Likes

I agree that having a central list somewhere (perhaps on ocamlverse?) of all extant bounties would be a really good thing. It would let people know what the community is interested in paying for.

I like the fact that the bounty size might attract professional ocaml contractors.

This bounty is about to expire. Which means the money will be lost. If someone could start to work on this task by the end of the month, please claim the bountry. Otherwise if you know a student or someone who needs the money and can claim the bounty, put us in touch and I will validate their claim. Ideally it would be nice if the person is in the ocaml community. But at the end of the day I don’t care much. I just don’t want the money to be lost.

1 Like

Maybe you should contact Daniel Buenzli or Gerd Stolpmann to get a quote
and have the job paid by your employer.

1 Like

Please note, that BountySource recently decided to take unclaimed money themselves: https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/5938.html

So only a few days (?) left to claim them.

1 Like

They should give back the money?! What is this scam?

2 Likes

I have no idea. It appeared in the news yesterday. Could be a scam.

The bounty has been awarded.

It seems Bountysource has withdrawn these outrageous new terms of service already.