A short history of ReScript (BuckleScript)

Yes, it should build pretty much with any version of modern ocaml compiler.
We are also thinking to port the dev build system to dune for easy contributions.

12 Likes

Would it be correct to think that ReScript is now separate language from OCaml that utilizes the OCaml compiler? My impression after reading this thread is that this is really about giving a good language to the web development community and less about allowing OCaml developers to program the browser with OCaml.

I guess most people on this message board are more interested in the latter, and there is some disappointment that ReasonML/ReasonScript/BuckleScript/ReScript has never really been that language, though it looked like it would be at one stage of development. I guess it’s back to Jsoo for that. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I guess it’s back to Jsoo for that. :man_shrugging:

Jsoo needs work for Ocaml 5.0 (aka multicore OCaml) – its future is not de-risked yet – see here

(I think something will happen eventually though on jsoo. There is already a lot of if investment in jsoo by various ocaml companies)

1 Like

You are right. Rescript is for people who appreciate ML type system && treat JS as the most important backend.

It does not have too much overlap with jsoo, this is always the case since the beginning.
I recommend people who have large existing OCaml code bases to stick with jsoo.

Rescript is for people who want to ship products on JS platform with optimal user experience. For example, if 10K bytes JS code size matters to you, you may have a look at Rescript.

7 Likes

I don’t think people should think about jsoo as at all risky. The plans for how to extend jsoo to support effects is not fully settled, but I think users can be highly confident that a solution for jsoo will be found. It’s just too important to too many users, Jane Street included. And the people who understand the details best are confident there are good solutions here.

y

16 Likes